Home

🚨COVID-19 Megathread: 113 million cases worldwide

Thus

Also the Johnson & Johnson vaccine has come back a disappointing 66% effective against covid.

Pfizer and Astra are 95%.

So more work to do for J&J.

Mowl

I am not anti-vaccine, but this is first time I've ever seen such a heated race to get the what will be the most lucrative pharma contract of all time.

I'm also not in the high risk category, so by the time they get around to me, any side effects should be well noted and documented.

But to answer your question, no I would not take the vaccine if it was offered to me today. Because I haven't been sick, I've had no symptoms and I'm confident that if I did contract it, I would be able to nurse myself back to full health.

Same here. Yesterday was the first time I was asked/insisted to wear a mask here in Helsinki. I had an appointment at the hospital and the lady manning the entrance asked me the usual about any symptoms and how I feel generally? Just fine, thanks. Then she handed me a mask and said I couldn't meet my appointment without it. So I wore it and tried to discuss the finer details of my latest xrays with my surgeon. My reading glasses kept fogging up, I couldn't understand half of what he was saying as we both have serious beards going on and a mask on top of a blown-out beard isn't very comfortable.

But we got through it by lifting the mask away from our mouths and beards to say the definitive words as clearly as possible.

In fact, I would have to say that that's the only difficulty I've dealt with regarding Covid19 since last March.

Outside of that, my life has been moving as normal.

Thus

There is a certain narrative being spouted on French radio about a "Vaccine passport or ID Card" when it comes to future travel, but even to go to bars, restaurants, cinemas etc.

Thus

How are the cases and vaccinations going up in Finland?
The French have been incredibly slow recently in the roll out.

At the minute the whole country (67m people) have to be in their homes at 6pm. Schools and shops are open, but not bars, restaurants, theatres or cinemas.

We are averaging 22,000 cases a day, the month of january was supposed to be a month were cases would drop significantly as to allow a gradual re-opening of the economy around spring. It was hoped that a substantial drop in cases, combined with an aggressive vaccine rollout would achieve this.

However, January has been wasted, the evenings are slowly getting longer and French discontentment will grow especially in Paris. Springtime in Paris is magic, if this is taken away from Parisians again I think people will just start ignoring the government guidelines.

Mowl

How are the cases and vaccinations going up in Finland?
The French have been incredibly slow recently in the roll out.

We're keeping the curve very low by being ourselves: culturally reticent and shy, we give each other plenty of space.

Biggest deal in terms of rule changes at the moment is that we cannot enter a hospital without a mask on, if you don't have one, they'll give you a packet full. Apart from that, we're cruising along and everything's open for business, no curfews, none needed either: when the sun goes down tonight, we'll be dropping down to minus twenty and possibly further. I've done all my shopping and other chores, had one meeting this morning, and am now looking forward to a nice weekend od excellent food and lots of sauna time.

As for the vaccine, they're doing the same as France - oldies first, anyone over 65 can apply and be seen locally, anyone under 65 can take their time so long as they practice general hygiene. For us, general hygiene is what's imposed on most other EU member states. We do it anyway, all the time, regardless of season or event attended. No shoes indoors, wash yourself on arrival at your or any elses home, keep your distance, bladder, bladder.

This morning I took the tram to Kallio: at the tram stop there were maybe seven or eight people waiting: they stood about four meters apart. I only mention this because by the time summer arrives and whether we beat this bug or not, Finnish people will still be standing at least four meters apart. Because that's what we do all the time anyway.

At the minute the whole country (67m people) have to be in their homes at 6pm. Schools and shops are open, but not bars, restaurants, theatres or cinemas.

That's seriously fucked up: I've got France24 on cable: they update only twice a day, so each hour it's the same content unless something dramatic happens. Finnish people would likely find your system easy to cope with - because that's the culture here anyway.

We are averaging 22,000 cases a day, the month of january was supposed to be a month were cases would drop significantly as to allow a gradual re-opening of the economy around spring. It was hoped that a substantial drop in cases, combined with an aggressive vaccine rollout would achieve this.

France24 mentioned last night that the number of vaccines delivered globally and used is now higher than the numbers of globally infected people.

I tried to verify that but couldn't corroborate it at all.

However, January has been wasted, the evenings are slowly getting longer and French discontentment will grow especially in Paris. Springtime in Paris is magic, if this is taken away from Parisians again I think people will just start ignoring the government guidelines.

I totally get your point about France and spring time - it's kind of the same for us up here only we have to wait until May Day for the snow and ice to melt away. If the system tries to shut people down again like last summer (no public events at all, even though they normally splurge millions on summer fetes and festivals for the people) then there's a strong possibility that people will ignore the rules and head out regardless.

Last year was bizarre: the only events we had in the city were protests, and they were massively attended by rubberneckers looking for any craic at all. They brought the kids with them for the day out. What was that one protest? Jambo started in on me saying that there's no way ordinary people attended a political protest to watch. So I showed him some videos of Finnish families sitting on Senatintori having picnics while some protest or other was happening up on the steps of the cathedral above. They were drinking their beers, making sandwiches, singing songs, taking the sun, and laughing at and cheering on the protestors.

They were starved for anything to do - they're not used to being indoors after May Day. Come the labour day, we cease doing indoor stuff and everyone heads out to the beaches and parks. Even at home we eat outside on the balcony, we can barbecue electrically, or else go down to the courtyard and barbecue over burning embers of wood.

Keeping us all locked in for another summer won't go down well with these people.

I was attending a funeral this morning ....well removal of deceased from his residence as we are banned from the funeral
I was one of the few not wearing a mask outside standing around a cross roads waiting for the hearse to come

Thus

‘Burned out’ healthcare workers beg for support as Covid-19 vaccine roll-out branded ‘haphazard’ by INMO

https://www.independent.ie/irish-ne...l-out-branded-haphazard-by-inmo-40066666.html

A quote from the article explains how Paddy is making an absolute balls of the rollout.
« The roll-out commenced in a haphazard manner, not focused on the locations or workplaces with the highest infections or geographically bordering areas with high community infection, » she said.

All in all another sad farce.

Mowl

Ireland's failures are the gift that keeps giving.

Paddy's a lot like an aging grandmother who ordered a table from IKEA and tried to put it together but ended up with two bookshelves and a walking stick.

olli rehn

I was attending a funeral this morning ....well removal of deceased from his residence as we are banned from the funeral
I was one of the few not wearing a mask outside standing around a cross roads waiting for the hearse to come
So you was clearly exposed as a Covidiot....

Top Bottom