Home

An Appointment with God

J

Jem from DownUnder

If you could make a personal appointment with God and were allowed to ask any reasonable question you liked.....
What would you ask him?

It seems to me that the churches have let their flocks down horribly by their complete lack of knowledge.
Most people who ditch God and religion really have no idea who or what it is that they have defected from....

God answers all our genuine questions....all you have to do is ask him.

So here's your chance......ask away.....;)

It isn't possible ever to 'make a personal appointment with god'. That phrase means someone is asking their own ego for independent advice.

OP
J

Jem from DownUnder

It isn't possible ever to 'make a personal appointment with god'. That phrase means someone is asking their own ego for independent advice.

Good grief! 🙄 Is it ever possible with you to just quit promoting your own stunted views and assume for a moment that you could ask God some reasonable questions....or are you not capable of composing any? Perhaps you need to ask your own ego for some independent advice....?
indifferent0028.gif

Is this not the forum on Religion? If you have nothing constructive to say.....:angery:

DS86DS

Staff member
Administrator
There are many, though I suppose the first question would be is why he allows for so much pain, suffering and misery throughout his creation.

It's sometimes difficult to think of God as anything but uncaring.

Good grief! 🙄 Is it ever possible with you to just quit promoting your own stunted views and assume for a moment that you could ask God some reasonable questions....or are you not capable of composing any? Perhaps you need to ask your own ego for some independent advice....?
indifferent0028.gif

Is this not the forum on Religion? If you have nothing constructive to say.....:angery:

You are supposed to be turning the other cheek. Your notion that you can just enforce the view that it is possible to have a conversation with a middle eastern desert god is an interesting assertion but without evidence any such assertion can be dismissed.

Tell you what. Prove your god exists and then I'll give him a buzz.

That offer aside it has been quite some time now since the religious were able to silence people who called them out on their absurdity. If you wish to go around alleging semi-publicly that it is possible for humans to chat with a bronze age desert god then you have to own the consequences of that and don't have any right to be protected from it.

The sub-forum is entitled 'Religion'. You are just assuming that this means posts under that heading should all be positive and favourable.

OP
J

Jem from DownUnder

There are many, though I suppose the first question would be is why he allows for so much pain, suffering and misery throughout his creation.

This is worth a detailed reply....I will offer it later as I have things to do right now, but thanks for the questions.
happy0105.gif

OP
J

Jem from DownUnder

You are supposed to be turning the other cheek. Your notion that you can just enforce the view that it is possible to have a conversation with a middle eastern desert god is an interesting assertion but without evidence any such assertion can be dismissed.

Tell you what. Prove your god exists and then I'll give him a buzz.

That offer aside it has been quite some time now since the religious were able to silence people who called them out on their absurdity. If you wish to go around alleging semi-publicly that it is possible for humans to chat with a bronze age desert god then you have to own the consequences of that and don't have any right to be protected from it.

The sub-forum is entitled 'Religion'. You are just assuming that this means posts under that heading should all be positive and favourable.

Would you like to count the number of pompous put downs you included in that post? You guys make me smile.....I would like to see the look on your face when you have to confront that "middle eastern, bronze age, desert god" (not sure that God requires a nationality) and tell him how absurd he is. What if he's the one to tell you how absurd you are?
confused0024.gif

If you "give him a buzz" with that attitude, I'm sure you'll get a busy signal. He doesn't have "call waiting" for unbelievers.
That supposedly non-existent god might just have a few surprises in store for you. Be careful how hard you laugh.....
happy0195.gif

Do you know what "turning the other cheek" actually means? Apparently not, so I will just smile to myself at your laughable ignorance.

I wasn't asking for favorable questions...just legitimate ones, but I see that you are incapable.....pity....oh well....

You obviously have no idea how patronising it is to have someone who regards a mythical story as real issuing biblical threats. Your question is not 'legitimate'. It is an attempt at proselytizing via an online forum.

You could at least be honest about that.

OP
J

Jem from DownUnder

You obviously have no idea how patronising it is to have someone who regards a mythical story as real issuing biblical threats. Your question is not 'legitimate'. It is an attempt at proselytizing via an online forum.

You could at least be honest about that.

You are calling me "patronizing"?
confused0060.gif

Good grief!....what do you call that stuff you post? Do you need a ladder for that high horse of yours?
My question is quite legitimate, but probably not for you, so why are you still here.....babbling?

If presenting my own views on a religious forum is proselytizing......then guilty as charged.....shoot me.
fighting0019.gif

OP
J

Jem from DownUnder

I hear this so much and it saddens me to think that the churches have been so remiss in their explanations as to what God is doing and why he is doing it.
But the problem of evil and suffering is not as puzzling as many assume.

If we go back to the beginning and ask, 'why did God put us here on a material earth in a material Universe in the first place?' then we will see that we have a stated purpose here. We were assigned as this Earth's caretakers and zoo keepers. It was a large responsibility and we alone were "made in God's image" so as to be able to fulfill that role as God himself would.....but he is a spirit Being, so he cannot inhabit the physical realm. We would fill the earth with our kind, and be his representatives here. We needed his moral attributes and free will to make decisions and to evaluate circumstances in order to make wise decisions in the exercise of our commission.

Some people wonder why God gave humans free will? It would have been so much easier to just program them like he did with all the other creatures, to act on instinct.....that would mean that no disobedience was possible, and we would not be experiencing life in such a troubled way. But giving us the means to exercise our free was going to be an important asset in our role here.....and it would also give the Creator something he cannot give himself....love....genuine love from a willing heart. Love can only exist when it is shared with other beings in a reciprocal way. God showed the humans his love and generosity by giving them the garden of Eden which catered to their needs there. He invited them to spread the boundaries of their garden home until the whole earth looked like the garden of Eden.

There was no natural cause of death, so the humans had the prospect of living forever right here in paradise on earth.
We all have paradise programed into our psyche.....that is why everyone wants to go there, even if its for a short holiday....

The Bible's narrative speaks of a rebel spirit creature who was carried away with his own magnificence and wanted to become a god himself. He lured the woman with a temptation, but his real target was the man. He divided Adam's loyalties and made him choose between his God and his wife. He chose badly, and all his children suffered because of his decision. This is why Jesus was sent...to pay the penalty for Adam's children....as a redeemer.

Once the humans had disobeyed God's direct command concerning "the tree of the knowledge of good and evil" the stated death penalty applied....and there was no going back.....once the 'genie' was out of the bottle, humans could not 'unlearn' what they had taken for themselves. A knowledge of evil soon turned into evil acts as the first murder was committed within one generation. We have been slaughtering one another ever since. Free will is trampled on by those imposing their will on others. It is the very foundation of all human conflict.

So, in order for the human race to learn to use their free will unselfishly, God stepped back and allowed the 'wannabe' god free reign to rule the world so that all would see that they cannot govern their own affairs without the guidance of their Creator. All the suffering and pain in the world is not God's doing, but is part of the devil's failed rulership. Precedents are being created because satan challenged God's sovereign right to set the rules for his children. Once the issue of sovereignty is fully settled, then God will take us back to the beginning and restore all that we lost. This object lesson will then last for all eternity to come, with no need or reason to ever allow the abuse of free will to wreak havoc again. It was a long term strategy but in the end we will have forever to forget that it ever happened. (James 1:13-15) God can then get on with whatever it was that he planned for his vast Universe, of which we are but a tiny speck.....
That is how I understand the Bible's explanation.

That would fit with the old 'we are but worms before your magnificence' approach. I don't think that should be regarded as a normal or healthy view of humanity.

OP
J

Jem from DownUnder

That would fit with the old 'we are but worms before your magnificence' approach. I don't think that should be regarded as a normal or healthy view of humanity.

LOL...I sometimes get the impression that you harbor those sentiments about yourself....?
happy0015.gif

Does God have to bow to your magnificence...?

I have never seen that idea promoted in my faith. "You are worth more than many sparrows" perhaps
confused0006.gif

.......but, compared with the Creator we barely rate a mention if you are implying a comparison.....but since he sent his son to die for us (I know that concept is completely lost on you, but what does it matter...
confused0082.gif

..."pearls before swine" and all that) I believe that he thinks a great deal about us as a collective, because that is how he will use us to accomplish his purpose here.....individually however, we have to meet his criteria. Like any work of art, if we fail to impress its Creator, he will simply throw us out as a waste of his efforts and concentrate on the works that please him. Some have the strange notion that God needs to please us.....when it is we who need to please him, and to be a useful asset to him.
If you have no desire to fit that criteria and you believe that this life is all there is....that is what you will get. That's fair, isn't it? God is not going to drag anyone into his Kingdom, kicking and screaming. If you don't want what he is offering, then that's OK.

The reward for trying our best to fit the criteria, is getting to enjoy his creation forever. I have never really wanted to do anything else.
If you wanted to leave a strife-torn country and there was criteria for entry into the country you wanted to live in because it offered you peace and security, who would have to make the adjustments?
Will they alter the criteria to accommodate your wants....or would you have to sacrifice some personal comforts to qualify?

Let me know if you would like to have a conversation on equal footing...just person to person.....you might be surprised about what we agree on....

I suspect you have no idea how patronising you sound with your unevidenced certainties. If a south sea islander approached you and started lecturing you on how you should be following the sea-god Conch you would think he was nuts.

And that is how you sound to an atheist. It really doesn't matter what the claims of your religion are. You just sound like the equivalent of someone trying to sell a Conch-God.

OP
J

Jem from DownUnder

I suspect you have no idea how patronising you sound with your unevidenced certainties. If a south sea islander approached you and started lecturing you on how you should be following the sea-god Conch you would think he was nuts.

And that is how you sound to an atheist. It really doesn't matter what the claims of your religion are. You just sound like the equivalent of someone trying to sell a Conch-God.

I am in a religious forum talking about God and religion....why is an atheist ever here? I am not the least bit interested in what atheists believe or don't believe about God or religion.....and I don't think you have a clue about how you sound to others. Talk about patronizing.....

images-12.jpg 🙄

The Albanians call it 'soul hunting' and there was a hefty debate in Albania some years ago about banning 'soul hunting' by religious groups among students and the young generally.

Bear in mind these people were still ploughing fields with horse-drawn ploughs 30 years ago.

OP
J

Jem from DownUnder

Captain Con said:
So you aren't evangelising or proselytising at all?
I am merely giving those interested in religion some information because I believe that the churches have failed to supply enough of it to make an informed choice. Your posts are a classic example of someone bouncing off misinformation as if it was truth.....the churches are not a reflection of true Christianity and the Bible itself warned that this would happen, because humans basically do not change.....they adopted "traditions" from outside of the Bible and taught it as truth.....it was nothing of the sort. If what you are protesting about is the teachings of the church, then you will get no argument from me.

Captain Con said:
The Albanians call it 'soul hunting' and there was a hefty debate in Albania some years ago about banning 'soul hunting' by religious groups among students and the young generally.

Bear in mind these people were still ploughing fields with horse-drawn ploughs 30 years ago.
And here again we have this attitude of suggesting that 'religious' people must belong in the bronze age......
indifferent0027.gif

I think we have learned a great deal since then, but none of it cancels out the accuracy of the Bible's teachings, or the fact that science is not quite as clever and informed as they like to believe they are......
character0101.gif

The 'altitude' from which you post conveys something to me....high altitude often produces oxygen deprivation, which if left unchecked, can lead to altered states of thinking and even death....be careful about that scientific pedestal you are standing on...its a long way to fall.
ashamed0003.gif

Well I'm reasonably certain that at no point in the future will there ever be an announcement along the lines of 'Oh. No hang on. Apparently it WAS a huge bloke in sandals who invented everything'.

You are comparing the fears of frightened peasants who understood much less of the world than we do with our knowledge of today and desperately trying to draw a doomed equivalence.

They lived 2,000 years ago. What's your excuse in the 21st century?

At a guess, Jem never used to be this religious but became convinced after some kind of personal traumatic episode, probably involving the loss of a family member.

Would I be right in that loose description?

Jad

I am merely giving those interested in religion some information because I believe that the churches have failed to supply enough of it to make an informed choice. Your posts are a classic example of someone bouncing off misinformation as if it was truth.....the churches are not a reflection of true Christianity and the Bible itself warned that this would happen, because humans basically do not change.....they adopted "traditions" from outside of the Bible and taught it as truth.....it was nothing of the sort. If what you are protesting about is the teachings of the church, then you will get no argument from me.

And here again we have this attitude of suggesting that 'religious' people must belong in the bronze age......
indifferent0027.gif

I think we have learned a great deal since then, but none of it cancels out the accuracy of the Bible's teachings, or the fact that science is not quite as clever and informed as they like to believe they are......
character0101.gif

The 'altitude' from which you post conveys something to me....high altitude often produces oxygen deprivation, which if left unchecked, can lead to altered states of thinking and even death....be careful about that scientific pedestal you are standing on...its a long way to fall.
ashamed0003.gif

In fairness, Jem, I don't think either myself or Con have ever claimed that we know everything. Rather - and I'm speaking for myself now - the contra arguments that I have put have focused only on things that I know for certain.

I'd be the first to admit that science doesn't know everything.......... and this is the reason why we keep searching for answers by asking awkward questions.

We ARE prepared to be convinced by answers that differ from what we believe, but only when the evidence fits the new conclusion.

I don't see anything wrong in Con's arguments at a factual level and in my opinion, he has put them there to be shot at........ if you can.

For what it's worth, I don't consider you to be living in the Bronze Age (which, incidentally, existed up to about 300 BC.... so relatively recently). I think you are making an attempt to make the Bible relative to the 21st Century, but wow... have you got an uphill task ahead of you. Still, I know how that feels....... I'm part of a campaign to get Britain to rejoin the European Union (if they'll have us) and I'm told every day that it's a lost cause. I don't give up in my mission and I kinda figure you're not going to give up on yours.

But you have to expect scientists to respond to your assertions with statements based on what we know.

It's all good.

Top Bottom