Home

Are farmers ever happy?

DS86DS

Staff member
Administrator
For as long as I can remember, news stories of angry and discontented farmers have kept popping up in the newspapers as well as on television.

Whether it be from complaining about subsidies, to complaing about hedgerows, to complaining about pylons, to complaining about wind turbines, to complaining about foxes and badgers, to complaining about hikers and strollers, to complaining about environmental impositions, to complaining about drones, to complaining about just about everything, they never seem to be happy with their lot in life. Despite being subsided by urban workers, they will nonetheless complain about townies along with tales of this and that being Dublin-centric.

They will complain that their boreen doesn't have the same standards of infrastructure, waste disposal services, public transport or access to other such key services as the evil Dublin-centric Dublin area full of Dubliners, forgetting of course that these urban areas are densely populated ones which also happen to pay more than their fair share of taxes in order to cover and justify such services. They act like they are self-sufficient guardians of the land and have an almost messiah complex that they're keeping the rest of us alive with their hard work and toil. When in reality, they are heavily subsided by government taxes, paid of course in large part by the urban workforce.

They consistently flout environmental laws almost to the point of criminal negligence. Miles upon miles of rivers and groundwater sources throughout the land are heavily polluted thanks to corrupt and incompetent farmers allowing run off from farms to continue with often disastrous results for everything from fresh water fish populations to the sources of drinking water for others.

Greedy farmers often with land on flood plains have for decades strong armed their local gombeen TD's and councillors into getting their parcel of land rezoned and cashing in big time in the thereafter. During periods of heavy rainfall, whole housing estates built within unsuitable river valley areas have been flooded resulting in millions of euros worth of damage. As per usual, if a local authority refuses to grant farmers planning permission to rezone their land to residential - they will kick up a fuss and complain

Whenever they feel the slightest grievance, whether real or imagined - they will decend upon Dublin en masse in their tractors intent on causing traffic chaos throughout the city until they've felt they've gotten their point across and gotten what they wanted in the first place. If that doesn't work, they will bring their tractors down again and thus - complain, again.

In short, it seems like farmers are never happy.

Mowl

The only farmer I know is a complete fucking mutant.

A brainless ruffian, an untalented and violent man suffering from extreme megalomania and a fat man complex.

He keeps his animals on a short leash, but he's also dumb enough to buy a gay bull for hard cash.

Then complains that he's not having any calves to slaughter so he turns to cats and dogs.

He's an utter disgrace to Ireland in every possible way and is 100% guilty of every single criminal act mentioned above.

That said: I'm thankful that he has a farm to fail at, because if he didn't have that then the prisons up north would be full of innocent people.

Never ever trust a farmer who used to be a copper.

In Tipperary some are giving their land for wind mills and getting 15K Euros a turbine. That provides free electricity with
no fossil fuel saving fuel imports.

People say farmers are subsidised and I suppose they are but in fact you could say that the consumer is subsidised. Give farmers nothing and most will either quit or charge more for their product which then would be too dear and would be unsold. In the early 90s things changed. The days of the 135 and 165 disappeared and lambos and then supertractors landed and every pake had one. Very hard to play the poor mouth will you are sitting in a heated and cooled cab of a 90000 euro machine

olli rehn

People say farmers are subsidised and I suppose they are but in fact you could say that the consumer is subsidised. Give farmers nothing and most will either quit or charge more for their product which then would be too dear and would be unsold. In the early 90s things changed. The days of the 135 and 165 disappeared and lambos and then supertractors landed and every pake had one. Very hard to play the poor mouth will you are sitting in a heated and cooled cab of a 90000 euro machine
Supertractors...cooled...not here. But I do believe in Massachusetts;)

Yes, a basic tractor. I used to and still see tractors on the road that are 60 years old, not many but a few. A tractor at one time could be expected to last your lifetime and on to your son. I knew a man with a Nuffield without a working starter, battery or dynamo. No power steering of course and the steering itself was as loose as could be. Start it on a hill in the morning and return in the evening

Maybe you don't but my neighbour will buck silage , bring out turf where let and cut hay all day long. Morning til night all day long. They have a far greater attraction to their tractor or any machine than they have to their car. A mans tractor and dog are part of his personality. I had a bit of land myself but only 23 acres and sold it.

olli rehn

Maybe you don't but my neighbour will buck silage , bring out turf where let and cut hay all day long. Morning til night all day long. They have a far greater attraction to their tractor or any machine than they have to their car. A mans tractor and dog are part of his personality. I had a bit of land myself but only 23 acres and sold it.
All in your phantasy. I would not know anyone who does all this you mentioned every day. You have a funny idea about Ireland. But no wonder....

Thus

Staff member
In Dublin there’s the expression « there’s no such thing as a poor farmer ».

Top Bottom