Home

Are farmers ever happy?

olli rehn

In Dublin there’s the expression « there’s no such thing as a poor farmer »
Not true- there are plenty of poor farmers. They might have plenty of land- but no income but the farmer's dole.
I know many old bachelors who have virtually nothing and live in poverty, surrounded by their land.
It is the relations who sell the land after the "uncle" died who will be rich.
Surely there is a large group of rich farmers as well who are well off- no doubt.

Thus

Staff member
That surely is true I’ve no doubt. But those poor farmers genuinely never ask for anything, as in you don’t hear much about them.

The mega rich farmers always seem to have their hand out.

Not true- there are plenty of poor farmers. They might have plenty of land- but no income but the farmer's dole.
I know many old bachelors who have virtually nothing and live in poverty, surrounded by their land.
It is the relations who sell the land after the "uncle" died who will be rich.
Surely there is a large group of rich farmers as well who are well off- no doubt.
You mean the dole the farmer signs on at the labour exchange? or the subsidy they get like Single Farm Payment? City people tend not to differentiate

Applying common sense, would it not be fair to say that a poor farmer is one who cannot afford to have all his chores done by a paid employee. 100 acre farm would need at least one hired hand. That would cost about 45K everything included to give him or her 32K.

If you compare to the man running the supermarket I used to work in, he never did the manual work. He employed 7 workers.

He would now be reasonably well off. If a farmer has to milk his cows twice a day, like my cousins husband in Bird Hill he is not rich.

A rich man does not do toil.

Applying common sense, would it not be fair to say that a poor farmer is one who cannot afford to have all his chores done by a paid employee. 100 acre farm would need at least one hired hand. That would cost about 45K everything included to give him or her 32K.

If you compare to the man running the supermarket I used to work in, he never did the manual work. He employed 7 workers.

He would now be reasonably well off. If a farmer has to milk his cows twice a day, like my cousins husband in Bird Hill he is not rich.

A rich man does not do toil.
I do not know a single farmer that employs anyone aside from a day here and there and that is usually swapped. They will hire a shearer and stuff like that of course.

I do not know a single farmer that employs anyone aside from a day here and there and that is usually swapped. They will hire a shearer and stuff like that of course.
Would you agree that any business man who has to do the manual work himself is not rich, What is the point of beign rich
if you have to be a manual labourer? If you started a grocery store in 1990 an it grew to a large supermarket with filling station

Hair saloon shop and off licence. You are not well off. Would you do all the work yourself?

Would you agree that any business man who has to do the manual work himself is not rich, What is the point of beign rich
if you have to be a manual labourer? If you started a grocery store in 1990 an it grew to a large supermarket with filling station

Hair saloon shop and off licence. You are not well off. Would you do all the work yourself?
If you were not well off, surely you would do as much as possible yourself, after the wife worked a 100 hours of course.

This is quality time where you bond with your animals. There is always plenty to do on a farm, unless your stock is on hunger strike, throwing out a bale or two or sillage. A bit of fencing and machine repair etc, like balers, all should be stored by now in sheds ideally

OP
DS86DS

DS86DS

Staff member
Administrator
How does anybody work up the courage to be around bulls, those things can kill a man with one charge and there is absolutely zero one can do in terms of self defense...if that thing decides to turn on you, you're basically fucked.

OP
DS86DS

DS86DS

Staff member
Administrator
I remember being at a bull ring in Madrid a few years ago. On literally two or three occasions the bull hit the man in the arena, sending him flying up in the air as if he were nothing more than a rag doll. It's crazy how powerful these creatures are.

At this time of year there is very little happening on most farms except milking of course on dairy herds
I put this question to a farmer friend and he sad he is flat out getting his accounts ready for the accounting. Gathering up receipts. A horrible job , Says he would rather be out mixing cement

I remember being at a bull ring in Madrid a few years ago. On literally two or three occasions the bull hit the man in the arena, sending him flying up in the air as if he were nothing more than a rag doll. It's crazy how powerful these creatures are.
It takes a lot to aggravate a bull on a regular basis. They can turn aggressive and when that happens they can be dangerous.
You can see bulls as you walk along the roads in Tipperary and they are quiet. Bull fighting is a cruel. obnoxious perverted
custom. The more bull fighters are attacked the better, its one less tormentor. People shirk at the Crucifixion of Christ and yet
take pleasure from doing the same to a beautiful pure bread animal that only wants to eat, mate and rest.

It takes a lot to aggravate a bull on a regular basis. They can turn aggressive and when that happens they can be dangerous.
You can see bulls as you walk along the roads in Tipperary and they are quiet. Bull fighting is a cruel. obnoxious perverted
custom. The more bull fighters are attacked the better, its one less tormentor. People shirk at the Crucifixion of Christ and yet
take pleasure from doing the same to a beautiful pure bread animal that only wants to eat, mate and rest.

We have proof here that you were a police officer pretending to be a bullfighter.

G

Gerry

Th thins wit the bulls findng havin problm witth th going rate the catle mart. Iff the bull not protudcing thee female calf wit the goodd milk they not intrested. You ned a good qulity bulls or no look.

roc_

The farmers near me are well off but they work their damn asses off. Fair play to them for standing up for what they are due.

The ordinary PAYE worker should emulate them, not raise their voice against unions and cheer when they are beaten, no doubt at the same time the unions need a good weeding out.

OP
DS86DS

DS86DS

Staff member
Administrator
Wouldn't like to be a farmer during the winter months, I'd imagine it's hard going.

Top Bottom