Home

Barn Owl population on the rise in Ireland

DS86DS

Staff member
Administrator
Thanks to conversation efforts, the Barn Owl population is on the rise again in Ireland. A very beautiful and mysterious animal. Hopefully other spectacular birds of prey such as the eagle and falcon will gain in number as well in the years to come as I'm sure they provide many benefits for whatever local ecosystem they inhabit.

Mowl

Lovely, wonderful.

The owl truly is the most mystical of birds: there were many of them nesting in the Phoenix Park when I was younger, beautiful creatures.

I went to visit the bird sanctuary up in Heinola a few years back when a domesticated dove landed on my balcony and wanted to come in. I woke one morning and heard this rustling and got up to see what it was. Pure white with bright yellow eyes, this dove was hovering and beating against the glass door. I couldn't believe it. I opened the door and in she flew and landed on the bookshelf, looking around like she owned the place. Beautiful thing, she took to me and watched me all the time, loved to sit on my shoulder and on top of my head.

I put out some ads to find out of anyone had lost but nothing came back.

I kept her for about a week and the best advice I got was to take her out to the forest and let her go. I couldn't do it: she wouldn't have lasted five minutes. She was tamed and obviously had a home somewhere. I was informed that some people released a dove on their wedding day, so it might have been from there. Another person looked at her photo and said that the yellow eyes weren't a local breed - maybe she flew off a ship that passed.

In the end I took her to the bird sanctuary up in Heinola. The ex's parents were going that way so we hitched a ride and I gave to the bird sanctuary. They said she wasn't a typical dove for our climate and that yes, she likely came over by ship.

She was a beauty - if my ex wasn't so uptight about her whizzing around the apartment, I'd still have her now: it broke my heart to give her up.

The bird, not the Missus: we had a happy divorce.

OP
DS86DS

DS86DS

Staff member
Administrator
Are there many pigeons and starlings up in Finland? Starlings I particularly hate, whenever you leave out food for the smaller birds here, a bunch of starlings flies down and eats the lot of the bird feed in one go.

Mowl

At this time of the year there isn't that much traffic in the skies. They all flew south two months back.

But when they return, they'll have a handy meal waiting for them on my balcony - and they can even come inside if they're curious.

OP
DS86DS

DS86DS

Staff member
Administrator
Would you have many large birds of prey flying around Helsinki? I'd say there are many of them out in the wilderness, the many lakes in Finland would be a good source of freshwater fish for them I'd imagine.

Do you have many memories of the seagulls in Dublin? Cheeky little feckers who'd swipe a sandwich out of your hand. 😅

Business owners particularly dislike them as they tear up a lot of refuse sacks for waste.

OP
DS86DS

DS86DS

Staff member
Administrator
Hopefully none of the birds are introduced into Cavan. Otherwise it will Sweet and Sour Owl at the local Chinese in Kingscourt.

Mowl

Seagulls are considered a menace up here too. Vicious little bastards, they swoop on kids eating and even worse is the breeding season when the babies are born and they can't fly, so they walk around at ground level. If you're not aware of the baby gulls and come too close, the mammy gull comes screeching down at you from above. They peck at you and squawk like fuck.

Over on Merihaka, I used to rent a room for storage. Those blocks were home to thousands of gulls and their babies. Get too close and a flock of them come screaming at you. The funniest part is the Islamic types who live there: the gulls see their head-wrappings and they get their talons stuck into them, often flying away with a length of fabric hanging out of their beaks.

We don't have any gulls around here even though we're right on the beach.

I get mostly thrushes and tits - I don't mind the small ones at all, I feed them every day when they're around.

Thus

Staff member
I have to admit that I've never seen a barn owl in my life. Where I am in Paris, there is private garden to the back of my apartment. We get green parrots, 5 years a mass group of 500 somehow escaped from a Zoo breeding program and often around the south of Paris in the parks you can spot them. I have 6 opposite me.

Paris is infamous for Pigeons, fuckers get everywhere even in the metro. Aside from that we don't have many gulls as we are not close to the sea, but we have big ravens, horrible scary things with big beaks and they make a horrible noise.

My favorite bird is the Robin red breast, I was delighted to see them back in Dublin over Christmas.

Thanks to conversation efforts, the Barn Owl population is on the rise again in Ireland. A very beautiful and mysterious animal. Hopefully other spectacular birds of prey such as the eagle and falcon will gain in number as well in the years to come as I'm sure they provide many benefits for whatever local ecosystem they inhabit.

Fantastic gone as that, beautiful birds.

Top Bottom