Home

Brexit

DS86DS

Staff member
Administrator
I'd imagine though it would all end in a further movement toward online work from home, as opposed to a campaign to reopen abandoned factories throughout Britain?

In saying that, such factories would be put to good use by manufacturing goods needed to cope with the onslaught of the virus, as opposed to having to import them. Then again, I'd imagine Boris and the Tories care more about keeping costs low than in providing job opportunities in the UK's rustbelt.

Britain now looking to join the Asia-Pacific free trade bloc. Unusual for a country that only in recent years asked to leave the EU.

Why?

When the UK applied to join what is now the EU, it was the EEC - European ECONOMIC Community.

It was sold to the British by lying British politicians as being a "common market" - ie. a free-trade zone.

When it was realised we'd been lied to it and it was a lot more than that, we wanted out.

British people tend to be okay with free trade zones. It was never the common market aspect of the EU most objected to.

olli rehn

Why?

When the UK applied to join what is now the EU, it was the EEC - European ECONOMIC Community.

It was sold to the British by lying British politicians as being a "common market" - ie. a free-trade zone.

When it was realised we'd been lied to it and it was a lot more than that, we wanted out.

British people tend to be okay with free trade zones. It was never the common market aspect of the EU most objected to.
You did not like the Polish coming to England. That was more or less the only reason to leave....

You did not like the Polish coming to England. That was more or less the only reason to leave....

Yes dear.

Thanks for telling me what my motives were for voting for Brexit! I didn't know before.

This is of course patronising drivel, but it is my own fault as I broke my own rule about not discussing Brexit on Irish political fora, probably because this is a new one I had higher hopes for.

Never mind, it won't happen again.

I shall stick to my policy on this site in future... a pity, but there it is. It is impossible to have any kind of serious debate about Brexit on an Irish site (though to be fair it's impossible on a British site also. British Remainers (well, I suppose Rejoiners now) are just as sure of themselves so it's equally pointless discussing it with them).

Brexit? I don't know what it is. I have never heard of it. I cannot speak of it, because I don't know what it is.

DS86DS

Staff member
Administrator
I would imagine so, they've certainly made Brexit a long and difficult road for the UK these past five years. I'm not anti-EU per say, but I believe that if the British people want out, then their right to do so should be respected. BlokesBloke had a fair point in saying that a free trade area was what was sold to the British public originally when joining.

I doubt Britain of all countries would have joined the EU back in the 1970s had it been a political union. They have always preferred separation from continental politics along with maintaining close links with Commonwealth N.ations such as Australia, Canada, New Zealand etc.

DS86DS

Staff member
Administrator
You'd have to wonder if Britain will go back to shillings, farthings, crowns etc. as well.

Yes dear.

Thanks for telling me what my motives were for voting for Brexit! I didn't know before.

This is of course patronising drivel, but it is my own fault as I broke my own rule about not discussing Brexit on Irish political fora, probably because this is a new one I had higher hopes for.

Never mind, it won't happen again.

I shall stick to my policy on this site in future... a pity, but there it is. It is impossible to have any kind of serious debate about Brexit on an Irish site (though to be fair it's impossible on a British site also. British Remainers (well, I suppose Rejoiners now) are just as sure of themselves so it's equally pointless discussing it with them).

Brexit? I don't know what it is. I have never heard of it. I cannot speak of it, because I don't know what it is.
There's one thing for certain BB, if the Brexit thing goes tits up, economically speaking it won't affect the likes of Farage, Rees Mog and all the other multi millionaires but rather those who are already struggling and saw Brexit as some sort of panacea to all their ills, rather foolishly imo.

I would imagine so, they've certainly made Brexit a long and difficult road for the UK these past five years. I'm not anti-EU per say, but I believe that if the British people want out, then their right to do so should be respected. BlokesBloke had a fair point in saying that a free trade area was what was sold to the British public originally when joining.

I doubt Britain of all countries would have joined the EU back in the 1970s had it been a political union. They have always preferred separation from continental politics along with maintaining close links with Commonwealth N.ations such as Australia, Canada, New Zealand etc.
I think this is an English thing rather than British, I've always found the English love of monarchy to be rather strange particularly amongst the working class, and the rose tinted view of empire also rather strange. I don't believe the English have any issue with rules, so long as they are the ones making them!

Ireniall

Article against Scottish independence in light of Brexit in the Guardian.

Yes- excellent article. I think though that an independent Scotland would be a certainty were it not for the huge difficulties that would arise to do with the very large amount of trade that they do with England and the relatively small (around 16%iirc) amount that they do with the EU. The emotive argument is far and away the most potent and the SNP has that won but the sheer size of the problems might be too much.

Yes- excellent article. I think though that an independent Scotland would be a certainty were it not for the huge difficulties that would arise to do with the very large amount of trade that they do with England and the relatively small (around 16%iirc) amount that they do with the EU. The emotive argument is far and away the most potent and the SNP has that won but the sheer size of the problems might be too much.
Harsh! Did a Scot break your heart?!

Top Bottom