Home

French Affairs

Thus

Staff member
I've set this up as I'm jealous of Mowl's Nordic affairs thread :)

There's been quite a lot to talk about this past week:

1. French reaction to Covid-19
As you may have read, we've been put back into to lockdown, however with significant changes since the last one in March/April:
  1. - Schools, creches remain open. Universities are shut. Children from the age of 6 onwards have to wear a mask in the classroom.
  2. - An "attestation" is needed when you want to leave the house and one of the following reasons has to be given:
    1. Going to work (work being defined as Public Service (health, security, education, construction, administration, transport). Private Sector ( Construction, health, IT security, engineering, retail). Average office workers stay at home.
    2. Shopping (food)
    3. Sport (can only stay 1km around the gaff)
    4. Helping/visiting an elderly relative
The data in France shows that the cases are happening in bars/cafes/restaurants, which are then being spread around offices and then brought home. So all of those places are closed for a month until the curve of cases is flattened.

2. Charlie Hebdo at it again
A teacher was beheaded by a young Chechen man, after a cartoon of Mohammad was shown and defended in a classroom in the North of Paris. After this incident, Macron publicly defended "la liberté d'expression" and images of the teacher that was murdered as well as certain Charlie Hebdo cartoons were projected onto the Elysee Palace.
Turkey and Arab countries took much offence to this and called on a boycott of French goods, which was met with a mixed reaction in those countries. Erdogan called for an apology from Macron for insulting the prophet, to which Macron responded "We are a Republic, we defend the liberty of expression. Charlie Hebdo then published a very humorous cartoon of Erdogan, which seemingly sent him over the edge :)

3. Mohammad's birthday
Yesterday was the big man's birthday Momo, so no better way to celebrate than murdering a few elderly people (one was a mother of three from Brazil) as they go into church for a bit of pray. The suspect of North African origin was arrested, but then there were unsuccessful attempts at stabbing attacks in Lyon, Satrouville and Avignon. Indeed, at Satrouville it was the father who called the police to tell them that his son had beaten him up and was heading to the church with a kitchen knife to carry out an attack....There is a notable presence of army around the place now.

4. Gang warfare
Since July there's has been a tit for tat gang-warfare over drug supply in France. Mainly between Arab gangs and a new force of Chechen gangs. This came to a head in Dijon of all places during the summer when a full on street battle erupted between the two sides. But according to a friend of mine in the French police, it appears to have escalated, after a 16 year old Chechen was beaten to a pulp in the North of Paris and a vendetta opened.

5. The Turks and Armenians
The recent conflict between Armenia and Azerbaijan, would obviously have blow back in some places. Germany has a large Turkish population, while France has a large and very successful Armenian ex-pat community, but there is also an underclass involved in crime. Indeed, an ex GF of mine is of Armenian extraction and a very beautiful lady at that as well. Last weekend, the Armenian community blocked off a motor way outside of Paris to show support for their side in the conflict, they also inexplicably beat very viciously 4 unlucky Turkish lorry drivers who happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.
Over the last few days a group of Turkish nationalists calling themselves 'The Grey Wolves' (a bit gay), have attacked Armenian shops and businesses in Paris and Lyon and vandalized some memorials commemorating the Armenian Genocide.

6. Anti-lock down protests.
It looks like the some elements of the French will oppose the lockdown, it looks like a mix of Gilets Jaunes / Antifa / Unions etc. It kicked off in Toulouse yesterday, and I'm wondering if/when in Paris it will kick off.

All in all, a rough week for the French.

I hope Ireland can put the finishing touches on this terrible week by stuffing les Bleus tomorrow night.

OP
T

Thus

Staff member
That's just the bad news Slaw.
It's been a bad week is all.

I've seen in Ireland that episode in Cork and in Ballinteer, combined with the scandal of the lidl middle isle being closed...

Coal Gas and peat

Staff member
I'm not that bothered about France v Ireland tomorrow .....I don't know the players anymore......Monaghan are playing Cavan in Ulster tomorrow will probably be listening to that on the radio like the 1940's because that's the only option :)

DS86DS

Staff member
Administrator
I have a feeling this will be one of the great threads on Isle now and in future.

Mowl

Last time I was in Paris was on a brief lay-over and I spent one night wandering around the city, mostly in and around Chatalet. Always a lot of people around and lots of choices for food, drinks, entertainments, and clubs. One thing I definitely noticed as being unlike the times I lived there was the number of black people in relation to so very few white folks.

I dropped into one bar when it started to rain and had a Guinness and a read of an Irish newspaper I brought for the flight. I went outside to smoke a cigarette and the manager (a small chap, white, but intense with it) followed me. These two dark skinned types approached me and asked for cigarettes. I gave them one each and they lit up and started talking to the manager bloke, I stood to one side.

The three of them started arguing and it was clear the manager didn't want them in his bar and told them so. Then he turned to me and said I should fuck off as well. I asked in English if I could go back inside to collect my bags and coat and then he clocked that I wasn't with the two geezers.

He asked me back in and sat me down at the bar and told the waitress behind the bar to pull me a pint and make sure I was sorted until I left back to the airport. We ended up getting pissed and I left at dawn with the waitress back to hers.

Not much of a story, but hey: French waitresses: hur-dur.

OP
T

Thus

Staff member
Last time I was in Paris was on a brief lay-over and I spent one night wandering around the city, mostly in and around Chatalet. Always a lot of people around and lots of choices for food, drinks, entertainments, and clubs. One thing I definitely noticed as being unlike the times I lived there was the number of black people in relation to so very few white folks.

I dropped into one bar when it started to rain and had a Guinness and a read of an Irish newspaper I brought for the flight. I went outside to smoke a cigarette and the manager (a small chap, white, but intense with it) followed me. These two dark skinned types approached me and asked for cigarettes. I gave them one each and they lit up and started talking to the manager bloke, I stood to one side.

The three of them started arguing and it was clear the manager didn't want them in his bar and told them so. Then he turned to me and said I should fuck off as well. I asked in English if I could go back inside to collect my bags and coat and then he clocked that I wasn't with the two geezers.

He asked me back in and sat me down at the bar and told the waitress behind the bar to pull me a pint and make sure I was sorted until I left back to the airport. We ended up getting pissed and I left at dawn with the waitress back to hers.

Not much of a story, but hey: French waitresses: hur-dur.

Chatelet is ropey at night. It's bang on central Paris where about 4 metros and 3 suburban trains meet. There's always people milling about. there's some good restaurants and boozers there though, but the real nightlife around there is shit.

Chatelet is sandwiched between le Marais (the gay /jewish/ trendy) area, and the famous Rue de Montorgueil (some of the best bars, cafes, clubs and restaurants) are there. I remember when I first moved to Paris, I used to always go out around Chatelet, I had a good group of expat mates back then and we had a few local bars around there we used to go to.

I remember we latched on to Scottish hen do once and I walking around 4 am with this girl from Inverness trying to find a hotel for the night, we knocked on some dodgy doors let me tell you...

But yeah Chatelet, there's always people buzzing around there, its where you'd go to eat before moving elsewhere.

There's a bright shiny new shopping centre there now, so even more people go there. It's not anywhere I'd advise a visitor to go.

E

English James

I've set this up as I'm jealous of Mowl's Nordic affairs thread :)

There's been quite a lot to talk about this past week:

1. French reaction to Covid-19
As you may have read, we've been put back into to lockdown, however with significant changes since the last one in March/April:
  1. - Schools, creches remain open. Universities are shut. Children from the age of 6 onwards have to wear a mask in the classroom.
  2. - An "attestation" is needed when you want to leave the house and one of the following reasons has to be given:
    1. Going to work (work being defined as Public Service (health, security, education, construction, administration, transport). Private Sector ( Construction, health, IT security, engineering, retail). Average office workers stay at home.
    2. Shopping (food)
    3. Sport (can only stay 1km around the gaff)
    4. Helping/visiting an elderly relative
The data in France shows that the cases are happening in bars/cafes/restaurants, which are then being spread around offices and then brought home. So all of those places are closed for a month until the curve of cases is flattened.

2. Charlie Hebdo at it again
A teacher was beheaded by a young Chechen man, after a cartoon of Mohammad was shown and defended in a classroom in the North of Paris. After this incident, Macron publicly defended "la liberté d'expression" and images of the teacher that was murdered as well as certain Charlie Hebdo cartoons were projected onto the Elysee Palace.
Turkey and Arab countries took much offence to this and called on a boycott of French goods, which was met with a mixed reaction in those countries. Erdogan called for an apology from Macron for insulting the prophet, to which Macron responded "We are a Republic, we defend the liberty of expression. Charlie Hebdo then published a very humorous cartoon of Erdogan, which seemingly sent him over the edge :)

3. Mohammad's birthday
Yesterday was the big man's birthday Momo, so no better way to celebrate than murdering a few elderly people (one was a mother of three from Brazil) as they go into church for a bit of pray. The suspect of North African origin was arrested, but then there were unsuccessful attempts at stabbing attacks in Lyon, Satrouville and Avignon. Indeed, at Satrouville it was the father who called the police to tell them that his son had beaten him up and was heading to the church with a kitchen knife to carry out an attack....There is a notable presence of army around the place now.

4. Gang warfare
Since July there's has been a tit for tat gang-warfare over drug supply in France. Mainly between Arab gangs and a new force of Chechen gangs. This came to a head in Dijon of all places during the summer when a full on street battle erupted between the two sides. But according to a friend of mine in the French police, it appears to have escalated, after a 16 year old Chechen was beaten to a pulp in the North of Paris and a vendetta opened.

5. The Turks and Armenians
The recent conflict between Armenia and Azerbaijan, would obviously have blow back in some places. Germany has a large Turkish population, while France has a large and very successful Armenian ex-pat community, but there is also an underclass involved in crime. Indeed, an ex GF of mine is of Armenian extraction and a very beautiful lady at that as well. Last weekend, the Armenian community blocked off a motor way outside of Paris to show support for their side in the conflict, they also inexplicably beat very viciously 4 unlucky Turkish lorry drivers who happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.
Over the last few days a group of Turkish nationalists calling themselves 'The Grey Wolves' (a bit gay), have attacked Armenian shops and businesses in Paris and Lyon and vandalized some memorials commemorating the Armenian Genocide.

6. Anti-lock down protests.
It looks like the some elements of the French will oppose the lockdown, it looks like a mix of Gilets Jaunes / Antifa / Unions etc. It kicked off in Toulouse yesterday, and I'm wondering if/when in Paris it will kick off.

All in all, a rough week for the French.

I hope Ireland can put the finishing touches on this terrible week by stuffing les Bleus tomorrow night.
Because a birdie told me you had a thread (about France) worth reading.. I took you off ignore.

What an absolute steaming pile of shit.

Back on ignore, fuckface

OP
T

Thus

Staff member
Because a birdie told me you had a thread (about France) worth reading.. I took you off ignore.

What an absolute steaming pile of shit.

Back on ignore, fuckface

😂 over your head English boy. Back into Mummy’s closet Jambo.

Colm

That's just the bad news Slaw.
It's been a bad week is all.

I've seen in Ireland that episode in Cork and in Ballinteer, combined with the scandal of the lidl middle isle being closed...

Yes terrible week here to with the above happening

I actually seen someone the other day refer to the middle aisle in Lidl as the "Man Creche"

OP
T

Thus

Staff member
The aul lad is banging on about picking up great tools and gardening stuff from that middle isle.
I picked up 10m of synthetic grass to put on my balcony last year. Great bargain and totally random

Top Bottom