Home

Gardai shoot black man in Hartstown, West Dublin

A good result. A dangerous knife wielding criminal has been put out of commission. My only thought was why, when 6 shots were fired, did only 3 find their target ?. What a waste of good ammunition..
Of course the Black Power / BLM groupies will have a field day condemning the Irish justice system.
IMHO the Gardai have a moral right to protect themselves and the public against armed criminals.
When anybody goes on a Weapons training course they are taught that if they have to deploy their weapon to aim for the most vulnerable part of the target. If that results in death then so be it.
The daft idea to aim at legs, arms or shoot the knife out of the target's hand is a figment of Hollywood westerns.

Mowl

A good result. A dangerous knife wielding criminal has been put out of commission. My only thought was why, when 6 shots were fired, did only 3 find their target ?. What a waste of good ammunition..

Likely, the first shots were intended to bring him down and disable him: a shot to the legs can do this.

Maybe there was also a shot or two fired at the hand holding the machete, it's easy enough to miss a moving target.

Of course the Black Power / BLM groupies will have a field day condemning the Irish justice system.

Maybe so - but few have listened: most right-thinking people see the justice in terms of the copper's actions. Eliminate the threat, give him all the chances available, but if he disregards them all, then there are only one or two options remaining. He took the final option and was taken down fully and finally.

IMHO the Gardai have a moral right to protect themselves and the public against armed criminals.

Agreed: there was neither a trigger-happy copper there any more than he himself was some kind of soft threat. He attempted to hack his machete at a copper standing next to him looking to disarm him. He got what was coming fair and square.

When anybody goes on a Weapons training course they are taught that if they have to deploy their weapon to aim for the most vulnerable part of the target. If that results in death then so be it.

Not true up here: disabling the culprit is always the first option, not killing him.

Also: every Finnish copper on the streets has their military training on top of their copper training - because we have N.ational conscription for everyone after leaving high school. We all have to give up one year of our lives (no exceptions) to the military. If you have reason to decline, then you'll be instead assigned to a position in the community: an old folks home, a junior school, a library, cleaning the parks and green areas, or any of a myriad of options; but the bottom line remains the same: you owe society one year, make your choices and be done with it, otherwise you'll appear in court and your career and life options will be curtailed and your future life options limited.

The daft idea to aim at legs, arms or shoot the knife out of the target's hand is a figment of Hollywood westerns.

Not necessarily: it depends on how well-trained the shooter/marksman is.

If they have previous military training, then they have a massive head-start. Ireland doesn't do conscription though, which is probably a good thing with Paddy. I wouldn't trust some Irish teenager with a high-powered rifle, would you? Every effort ought to be made to take down a criminal and disarm him. There's a certain logic among the more hardened rightists who insist that killing a perpetrator is always the better option when considering the financing of imprisoning him.

Of course, if prison time meant constant hard labour, then that argument wouldn't stand.

I could do it ....I'm very accurate up to 250 yards

Mowl

My Colt .45 is accurate up to around ten meters.

Not too bad considering I bought it for indoor fun/practice sharp-shooting.

The hobby stores uptown are selling off their pellet and airsoft guns, rifles, repeaters, etc. I might well pick up an Uzi or an AK with sights and infra-red for outdoor practice in the forests nearby. The coppers don't mind if you have a pellet gun out in the wilds: you simply tell them it's practice and that you chose an isolated spot where you can survey the entire area between you and your target.

Try walking around the city with one strapped over your shoulder and you'll soon be tasting the pepper spray first, then a taser to take you down.

No questions asked and no quarter offered.

Top Bottom