Home

Georgian Dublin

DS86DS

Staff member
Administrator
The Irishness of Georgian Dublin has long been called into question, a contentious issue of debate within both political and cultural spheres for near on a century since independence with passionate arguments both for and against it's presentation. Groups founded in the latter decades of the 20th century such as An Taisce and the Irish Georgian Society have fought tooth and nail for both the preservation and restoration of this architectural heritage, while on the opposing end cultural nationalists such as Kevin Boland have dismissed Georgian Dublin as un-Irish and worthy only of being razed to the ground with it's preservationist supporters dismissed as 'belted earls'. What perhaps didn't help matters was a widespread belief at the time that these buildings were considered to be monuments of an English ruling class who courtesy of the Wide Streets Commission erected buildings and monuments in many ways not too dissimilar to those found in London. Everything from the familiar sash windows to just about every other detail present in these structures is in someway similar to those found on the Georgian streets and blocks of numerous cities and towns throughout England. Nor had their gradual disintegration done them any justice as they would come to be known as some of the worst slums in the city during the late 19th and early 20th centuries.

One argument made in their favour however was that they were built by Irish men and inhabited by Irish people during their heyday. Such arguments however certainly didn't help throughout much of the 20th century when large parts of the city's Georgian fabric were been razed to make way for newer forms of architecture. Areas such as Wood Quay suffered a complete blow despite countless protests, along with the Georgian Mile along Fitzwilliam Street where the (then) new ESB headquarters cut a major chunk out of the original streetscape. It wasn't until fairly recent years that the preservation argument won the day.

Whose side would you take on this issue? Do you consider Dublin's Georgian streets and squares to be an important part of our heritage, or would you rather they were replaced with what perhaps might be considered a more legitimate form of Irish architecture representative of our culture?

OP
DS86DS

DS86DS

Staff member
Administrator
Fitzwilliam Street Lower, before and after

🔹️🔹️🔹️🔹️🔹️🔹️🔹️

Wood Quay, before and after

Thus

Staff member
It will be interesting to see what will happen to the glass buildings as remote working becomes more the norm.

What will office space become? Obsolete?

The old Georgian houses have been butchered up and now house hundreds of Chinese, Indian, Pakistani "students" and service workers, probably living in about 6m of personal space.

The interior of these houses would have been spectacular, there's a few of them still being lived in. But the profits to be had to convert into single bed, shared studios must be too great for many of the owners to ignore.

I visited in 2011 a 3 bed apartment on Pembroke road with a view to buying. The apartment was in excellent condition with two bathrooms. The problem was that the apartment opposite of a similar style was home to 8 Chinese "students".

The problem with Paddy is that he'll sell the family silverware if there's a quick buck to be made. Dublin city centre is devoid of any charm, character and culture now. It's full of fast food restaurants, mobile phone shops, Coffee chains, Centras/Spars, new quirky bars that serve a pint of watery pish craft beer at 7€ and fucking mexican and donut shops.

What is it with the mexican food these days? It's basically grilled, processed meat, with cheese in a wrap...

We've embraced americana culture with open arms, but when we see that all that nonsense in lifeless and bland...there's very little to fall back on.

Mowl

The gentrification of Dublin has lead many to sneer at Italian fish and chip shops in favour of brands like Taco Belle and even traditional pizzerias.

Same with Bewley's - it has to compete with how many branches of Starbucks?

OP
DS86DS

DS86DS

Staff member
Administrator
Riddal's Row and Coles Lane. Among the streets demolished to make way for the Ilac Centre.

OP
DS86DS

DS86DS

Staff member
Administrator
The Four Courts dome scaffolding

It seems like an age since I've last seen this fine structure in all of it's glory without the netting and scaffolding obscuring the view of the building's dome. Although a likely necessity in order to preserve it's structural integrity, it is nonetheless hideous - more so as the building is so visible throughout the city from top to bottom. It's one of the first things one notices when visiting Dublin moving on from Heuston Station on toward Parkgate street and beyond for one.

It will certainly be a good day when Gandon's masterpiece is not only fully secured, but once again fully visible on the Dublin skyline.

🔹️🔹️🔹️

It will be interesting to see what will happen to the glass buildings as remote working becomes more the norm.

What will office space become? Obsolete?

The old Georgian houses have been butchered up and now house hundreds of Chinese, Indian, Pakistani "students" and service workers, probably living in about 6m of personal space.

The interior of these houses would have been spectacular, there's a few of them still being lived in. But the profits to be had to convert into single bed, shared studios must be too great for many of the owners to ignore.

I visited in 2011 a 3 bed apartment on Pembroke road with a view to buying. The apartment was in excellent condition with two bathrooms. The problem was that the apartment opposite of a similar style was home to 8 Chinese "students".

The problem with Paddy is that he'll sell the family silverware if there's a quick buck to be made. Dublin city centre is devoid of any charm, character and culture now. It's full of fast food restaurants, mobile phone shops, Coffee chains, Centras/Spars, new quirky bars that serve a pint of watery pish craft beer at 7€ and fucking mexican and donut shops.

What is it with the mexican food these days? It's basically grilled, processed meat, with cheese in a wrap...

We've embraced americana culture with open arms, but when we see that all that nonsense in lifeless and bland...there's very little to fall back on.
Its not just Dublin. The whole country is already gone to foreigners. I feel sad in a way but in another I feel you and the other west Brits on here deserve it.
You and Co could not tolerate Irish country people so you are handed loads of foreigners to occupy you finery in Merrion square. The devil rub it up ya.

OP
DS86DS

DS86DS

Staff member
Administrator
Its not just Dublin. The whole country is already gone to foreigners. I feel sad in a way but in another I feel you and the other west Brits on here deserve it.
You and Co could not tolerate Irish country people so you are handed loads of foreigners to occupy you finery in Merrion square. The devil rub it up ya.

I think you'll find a long history of culchies inhabiting the Big Smoke Val.

Mowl

Says the Italian descendant who's half egg-plant.

G'wan back home to Rome you stuffy old fart, you're hated in Ireland.

I think you'll find a long history of culchies inhabiting the Big Smoke Val.

You can spot them a mile off too: with their jumper's tucked into their trousers and the belt pulled tight up to the bellybutton. Eating a hang sanger while walking along Rathmines Road towards town, singing some auld rebel song about the men behind the wire.

Thus

Staff member

Ye bogmen had the best of everything (land, space, access to the freshest food, grants, funding, the farmers dole, rip off beef and dairy prices), but despite all that opportunity and privilege, you were still always jealous of us Dubs. Most of us had not the same privileges as you had, but we had our style, wit, character, elegance and spirit, but above all else what in abundance over you culchies was our class.

The term "west brit" gets bandied about here as a slur on Dubliners. Ye bogmen have very short memories, Dublin was always the centre of any rebellion against the British empire, going back to the days of Robert Emmet.

In 1913, Dubliners went on strike en masse at all levels to protest against the blatant profiteering by agents of the crown on the Dublin workers. Ye culchie farmers were coining it in during that time exporting your produce all over the British empire.

In 1916, Dubliners went out on armed rebellion, gaining the reputation of "the city that took on an Empire"...while ye fuckers didn't show up for the fight.

All through the war of independence, culchie flying columns spent half the time killing other Irishmen in the RIC, while Dublin rebels hit at the heart of the British administration (where it really hurts).

When the Brits finally picked up and left, in it what was perhaps the country's greatest unspoken tragedy to date. The positions in the administration of this new state, were filled with rank and file culchie gombeen thick fuckers like you, who for the first almost 30 years of the state's existence, engaged in an unwinnable, completely futile economic war with Britain, which destroyed indigenous Irish industry and put agriculture at forefront of an economic policy... This proved catastrophic for country leading to mass emigration.

Dubliners being west brit...pull the fucking other one.

Even now, Dublin in Gaelic football reigns supreme over the rest of the country and ye jealous begrudging fucks calling for the country to split in two or even three. I personally really enjoyed the recent victory in the All Ireland final, not least because it rattled your cages again.

Sam isn't going anywhere, Sam is home.

OP
DS86DS

DS86DS

Staff member
Administrator
I think culchies might be a bit too thick to understand that history worked out that way - and not how they'd like to think it had.

Mowl

Top class post.

Val lives in a world no-one else occupies, this is mainly due to sheer stupidity and bullish ignorance. He has a chip on his shoulder the size of the Phoenix Park and is in a permanent fit of rage that he was born a Culchie gobshite. He's had a million chances to improve his lot but in that light he shows himself as we all do: a humpy old bastard with no friends, a bad reputation, and a Missus with the patience and arse of an elephant.

The only activities Val ever got up to in Dublin (apart from going to the IFA and the state with his begging bowl in hand) was when he was still a copper, before they booted him out on his ear for extreme violence on the Heavy Gang towards any Dubliner with a bit of cop-on who outsmarted him. Not every hard to outsmart Val either, mind you: I've been at it ever since I met and got the whiff of shite offa him.

Val's unemployable - that's why he keeps a slurry farm: if he didn't have a little tract of bog to poison, he'd be broke and living in a barn, cooking on a tiny gas stove, shitting into a plastic bag, and wanking himself silly all day and night.

Ye bogmen had the best of everything (land, space, access to the freshest food, grants, funding, the farmers dole, rip off beef and dairy prices), but despite all that opportunity and privilege, you were still always jealous of us Dubs. Most of us had not the same privileges as you had, but we had our style, wit, character, elegance and spirit, but above all else what in abundance over you culchies was our class.

The term "west brit" gets bandied about here as a slur on Dubliners. Ye bogmen have very short memories, Dublin was always the centre of any rebellion against the British empire, going back to the days of Robert Emmet.

In 1913, Dubliners went on strike en masse at all levels to protest against the blatant profiteering by agents of the crown on the Dublin workers. Ye culchie farmers were coining it in during that time exporting your produce all over the British empire.

In 1916, Dubliners went out on armed rebellion, gaining the reputation of "the city that took on an Empire"...while ye fuckers didn't show up for the fight.

All through the war of independence, culchie flying columns spent half the time killing other Irishmen in the RIC, while Dublin rebels hit at the heart of the British administration (where it really hurts).

When the Brits finally picked up and left, in it what was perhaps the country's greatest unspoken tragedy to date. The positions in the administration of this new state, were filled with rank and file culchie gombeen thick fuckers like you, who for the first almost 30 years of the state's existence, engaged in an unwinnable, completely futile economic war with Britain, which destroyed indigenous Irish industry and put agriculture at forefront of an economic policy... This proved catastrophic for country leading to mass emigration.

Dubliners being west brit...pull the fucking other one.

Even now, Dublin in Gaelic football reigns supreme over the rest of the country and ye jealous begrudging fucks calling for the country to split in two or even three. I personally really enjoyed the recent victory in the All Ireland final, not least because it rattled your cages again.

West Brit is only a slur on some Dubliners. The Brits were here are you saying they were celibate? I never tarred all Dubs with the same brush. Dublin have every publicly funded office and industry there is. The Country gets nothing. There was never any problem with that. What other points do you make?

Top class post.

Val lives in a world no-one else occupies, this is mainly due to sheer stupidity and bullish ignorance. He has a chip on his shoulder the size of the Phoenix Park and is in a permanent fit of rage that he was born a Culchie gobshite. He's had a million chances to improve his lot but in that light he shows himself as we all do: a humpy old bastard with no friends, a bad reputation, and a Missus with the patience and arse of an elephant.

The only activities Val ever got up to in Dublin (apart from going to the IFA and the state with his begging bowl in hand) was when he was still a copper, before they booted him out on his ear for extreme violence on the Heavy Gang towards any Dubliner with a bit of cop-on who outsmarted him. Not every hard to outsmart Val either, mind you: I've been at it ever since I met and got the whiff of shite offa him.

Val's unemployable - that's why he keeps a slurry farm: if he didn't have a little tract of bog to poison, he'd be broke and living in a barn, cooking on a tiny gas stove, shitting into a plastic bag, and wanking himself silly all day and night.
When one has many houses, there is bound to be variety

Thus

Staff member
I would say in most cases yes, considering the religious aspect, the fact that they thought of Paddies as being less than human but also the fact that your average Dubliner is on a whole, more handsome than any Brit in uniform.

I would say most of the cross breeding occurred down the country, where pent up paddy lassies were watering at the mouth at sight of a strapping young men in uniform instead the local inbred lads with bad teeth, disheveled appearance and poor, dirty clothes.

Mowl

West Brit is only a slur on some Dubliners. The Brits were here are you saying they were celibate? I never tarred all Dubs with the same brush. Dublin have every publicly funded office and industry there is. The Country gets nothing. There was never any problem with that. What other points do you make?

That you're eleven spanners short of a full tool-kit.

When one has many houses, there is bound to be variety

You have just the one bungalow, Val: I often look at it on Google earth: the filthy mucky garden, the cracked slate roof, the 'drive-in' which is really just a strip of grass you drove the tractor over a few times, and the ones of many dead animals laying about the place. The empty bathtub with the green mould on it, the outhouse with all the plastic bags of shite you dumped when out in the fields spreading the slurry, your enormous manky y-fronts hanging on the washing line next to animal hides you use for blankets.

I know gypsies who live in better standards than you, you filthy old crow.

I often wonder what would have happened if there were never a British presence in Ireland? What would be built?

A massive wind turbine farm.

I would say in most cases yes, considering the religious aspect, the fact that they thought of Paddies as being less than human but also the fact that your average Dubliner is on a whole, more handsome than any Brit in uniform.

I would say most of the cross breeding occurred down the country, where pent up paddy lassies were watering at the mouth at sight of a strapping young men in uniform instead the local inbred lads with bad teeth, disheveled appearance and poor, dirty clothes.

Exactly: it was always thus, Thus.

Val's descended from the seed of a British bulldog who mounted some slapper in Cavan town centre after the Ballroom Of Romance passed through town.

She passed out on the road home and fell asleep in a hedgerow, then along comes Monty, the happy Bulldog with the balls of an elephant.

That's how Val's Granny behaved back then: she'd suck a dog's cock for a cheese sandwich with no butter.

Top Bottom