Home

'I'M AFRAID OF AMERICANS.'

roc_

Not that America is "great" or anything, as per my earlier posts on the thread. But there's the little issue of jumping out of the frying pan into the fire. And under the impetus of state orchestrated internet propaganda, we have today way too numerous fools all too ready to do so, and scant heed they have to the facts, at least any that may interfere with the fate they wish on America.

I made a post relating to this issue of "useful fools" and you reply with a selection of talking points, phrases and idioms the source of which ought to be glaring to anyone with two brain cells to rub together? E.g.

It makes discussion of the actual facts impossible, exactly as intended.
You seem to asserting that anyone who doesn't agree with your take on these issues must be a commie, giving you the excuse to close down discussion, exactly as intended.

Not that America is "great" or anything, as per my earlier posts on the thread. But there's the little issue of jumping out of the frying pan into the fire. And under the impetus of state orchestrated internet propaganda, we have today way too numerous fools all too ready to do so, and scant heed they have to the facts, at least any that may interfere with the fate they wish on America.
You make a good point, I would not wish to live in Russia or the USA, but if I had to choose I'd be heading stateside.
I just don't buy the narrative that the West is always right in all things and is merely spreading the "democratic love"when bombing the shit out of some middle eastern country. Collateral damage must be the most abused phrase of all time, covering a multitude of sins. Unlike yourself apparently I don't happen to believe that the "West" occupies some sort of moral high ground that can excuse firing missiles/ drooping bombs on innocent people, usually in the most cowardly of fashion. As other posters have pointed out, I believe the USA is now the dangerous country on the planet. I have no hatred for Americans, they are our friends and as such we should as part of the EU encourage them away from any future "interventions" Just look at Afghanistan, Iraq, Lybia, today, hardly advertisements for such behaviour.

roc_

President Trump didn't start fake wars for globalist filth to make money
More mindless, ridiculous slogans.

The reality was Trump only cared about Trump.

Unless it served his own selfish political agenda he couldn't give two figs about gross violations of human rights, torture, mass murder, crimes against humanity, wars of aggression, instability or anything else that did not directly affect him personally.

Political expediency and material interests always overrode everything else for Trump.

Take for example his assassination of Iran's General Qassem Soleimini. Or the fact that he quietly dropped more bombs than Bush and Obama combined. Or his great enthusiasm for unaccountable drone attacks. What do they all have in common?

Answer, they all bore little personal political risk for Donald Trump.

And whatever about the so called "war-mongers" who came before Trump, and all the arguments about what had happened in Bosnia, Rwanda, Kosovo, and whether there existed moral and ethical imperative to act under humanitarian impulses, at least their actions were taken in the knowledge that failure would mean a stain on their legacy and that they were risking everything to do what they believed to be the right thing. They certainly wouldn't have thrown say the Kurds to the wolves like Trump for example.

roc_

Stop bullshiting roc Obama the war mongering piece of shit attacked seven countries and wanted to attack more
Yeah, yeah...

Etc. Ask yourself why Putin & other despots resented Obama so much they went to such efforts with their propaganda.

More mindless, ridiculous slogans.

The reality was Trump only cared about Trump.

Unless it served his own selfish political agenda he couldn't give two figs about gross violations of human rights, torture, mass murder, crimes against humanity, wars of aggression, instability or anything else that did not directly affect him personally.

Political expediency and material interests always overrode everything else for Trump.

Take for example his assassination of Iran's General Qassem Soleimini. Or the fact that he quietly dropped more bombs than Bush and Obama combined. Or his great enthusiasm for unaccountable drone attacks. What do they all have in common?

Answer, they all bore little personal political risk for Donald Trump.

And whatever about the so called "war-mongers" who came before Trump, and all the arguments about what had happened in Bosnia, Rwanda, Kosovo, and whether there existed moral and ethical imperative to act under humanitarian impulses, at least their actions were taken in the knowledge that failure would mean a stain on their legacy and that they were risking everything to do what they believed to be the right thing. They certainly wouldn't have thrown say the Kurds to the wolves like Trump for example.
I believe you're correct in one respect, I think Trump is a N.arcissist who cares only about himself.
But I find it very hard to believe he dropped more bombs than Bush or Obama never mind both combined.

I believe you're correct in one respect, I think Trump is a N.arcissist who cares only about himself.
But I find it very hard to believe he dropped more bombs than Bush or Obama never mind both combined.
it's lies from roc .....he is trying to hide democratic party warmongering .....and rewrite history from only 10 years ago

roc_

I was posting too quickly and did not double check my recollection. He definitely dropped more than either of Bush or Obama, I don't know about combined, probably not.

Stop bullshiting roc Obama the war mongering piece of shit attacked seven countries and wanted to attack more
Obama dealt with wars he was already handed for starters. AQ and ISIS also didn't give him a meaningful choice. He also engaged in wars that the global community heavily entreated and pressured him to join, e.g., the UN and Arab League endorsed campaign in Libya (that the Irish government also supported) where he limited US actions to air support and demanded and received significant and widespread global contribution.

The US is not fairly and squarely comparable to Ireland's situation given its geographic and economic role in global affairs. That's no excuse for its own wrongdoings, but it's simply also faced with more ugly realities in global affairs. It's one thing to go looking for trouble, but sometimes trouble comes looking for you, and the bigger player you are, the more likely the latter will be the case.

Let's also recognise that because Ireland is a supposed 'neutral' that it's mostly rubbish to start with. Our realpolitik is pure as driven slush given we use oil and gas, trade and keep good relations with N.ations that do the dirty work to keep that coming as well as the dirty governments doing really bad things, etc.

Neutrality in itself isn't noble but often self-interest and dubiously so from a moral/ethical standpoint such as freeriding on shared security interests, acquiring benefits despites the human costs such as ignoring atrocities and overall injustices, etc. As Bishop Desmond Tutu and civil rights activist once aptly said: "If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. If an elephant has its foot on the tail of a mouse and you say that you are neutral, the mouse will not appreciate your neutrality.

I loathe war given it means the maiming and extinguishment of human life, destruction of property, foreign occupations, etc. Only chickenhawks and/or sadists favour it. It's the ultimate failure of human relations, and I'm not trying to put words in your mouth that Ireland is the land of saints and scholars on this topic. That said, IMO it's a hard case to make that the realities of the world don't come without prices and we all pay it in various forms.

DS86DS

Staff member
Administrator
Has anybody ever ventured into a dangerous part of an American city? I did in Baltimore, I don't think I've ever come across an area like it anywhere I've been to in Europe.

DS86DS

Staff member
Administrator
Documentary on the tradition of Devil's Night in Detroit where groups of individuals go around the city burning buildings the night before Halloween.

Well, for a first post, I might as well set the standard of not really agreeing with anyone.

I live in Canada (by choice, spent two years travelling the world looking for best place on planet to raise children) but do a lot of business in USA. Also work in several other countries, so have a bit of an idea of what the US is about and how it compares with the rest of the World.

Yes, some US inner cities are indeed dangerous places. By the same token, rural USA can be one of the SAFEST places on the planet - even with the seeming contradiction of the US penchant for firearms. I have had to work under armed guard in USA (on nuclear plant sites - ESPECIALLY right after 9-11) but I have also had to do so in San Pedro Sula with admonition from expats NEVER to walk unguarded outside of the compound. Recently, one of my closest friends packed up his family in Berlin and returned to Moscow - for safety reasons. Similarly, we closed our NYC office - right next to a police station - because of the BLM riots and violence that was happening EVERY NIGHT for months on end to an extent it was not safe for anyone to come and go day or especially night.. Conversely: we have property in remote areas of WY with equipment and materials sitting unprotected and never suffer any losses.

The US is a big place and one should consider it more of a model of the whole world than a single country with a single culture and economy. The very high level of personal freedoms, the extreme accumulation of wealth and some times the extreme diversity of wealth distribution means that there are extremes of almost everything good and bad to a greater extent than any other country. If you want to see some of the things unique to what the USA is, head to the EAA (Experimental Aircraft Association) annual convention in Oshkosh WI every summer (when Covid does not prevent, that is). More airplanes come each year - most privately owned - then have ever been in one place even during WWII. After a week of shows and seminars celebrating general aviation and teaching people how to build an aircraft of their own you will find the grounds SPOTLESSLY clean and a record of next to NO criminal activity of any kind among the hundreds of thousands crammed into the small area of the show and local grounds. Nothing like that happens or can happen anywhere else on the planet. However, this environment of such great freedoms comes at a cost of great opportunities for criminal and other malfeasance. - so you can get that extreme as well. Ask almost any American if they would trade this for any other country, and the answer is a resound NO EFFING WAY.

Personally: I find the extreme of not being able to separate business from social services to be one deal breaker for living there. Have watched people stay in jobs they hate because with pre-existing medical conditions, they could never get or afford medical coverage that they have with that employer. Have also seen people go bankrupt from medical bills even when they THOUGHT they had good enough coverage. The other no-go for me is due to the "LLL" - the Legal Liability Lottery. Being in business there means everything you have can be at risk because some ambulance chaser manages to target you or your company to cash in on the possibility of a big payday at your expense. Safest way to do business there is to conduct it from outside selling to within.

DS86DS

Staff member
Administrator
Welcome Paddy Cannuck. Would you say Canada's gun laws are closer to those in America or Europe?

I'm particularly interested in Newfoundland, from what I've seen and heard it's very similar to Ireland. Banff N.ational park looks amazing as well, one of the places I would love to visit one day.

Top Bottom