Home

Modern Ireland vs. Future Ireland

Thus

Staff member
I watched that PrimeTime interview with Ebun Joseph or whatever her name is.

You guys actually put up with this shit from the national broadcaster?

Lookit: were that interview to have taken place at all on Finnish media (unlikely) then the populace would be kicking the doors of the national broadcaster down in order to get in and torch the entire place.

And I doubt the Finnish police would intervene until the flames are peaking.

Even then, it's be to ask people to please be nice.

After the fact, of course.

As you know I don't live in Paddyland, but it's strange who Paddy gets upset and motivated to protest about things that happen in far off countries, but when their own elite do some outrageous, there is very little response.

Paddy is a peculiar creature.

OP
Mowl

Mowl

Aye - that whole George Floyd shit-show clearly demonstrated Ireland's liberal bleeding hearts movement is a pussy in boxer shorts.

And yet when that fucking harridan Joseph goes on the TV and slags off the entire country and we (you) bow to it?

Holy fucking amazeballs - where's your nuts, lads?

Get out from in front of that telly, you fucking losers.

Thus

Staff member
Aye - that whole George Floyd shit-show clearly demonstrated Ireland's liberal bleeding hearts movement is a pussy in boxer shorts.

And yet when that fucking harridan Joseph goes on the TV and slags off the entire country and we (you) bow to it?

Holy fucking amazeballs - where's your nuts, lads?

Get out from in front of that telly, you fucking losers.

I've written off Ireland a long time ago. We I have to go back there, the night before the flight I can never sleep. It pains me to see the parents still there, especially since my brother and sister no longer live in Ireland.

When I arrive, I always have this knot in my stomach, I'm waiting for the first cock up. You might arrive at a peak time, morning or early evening and there's two Guards at the passport desk, you end up queuing for ages, and then if you've checked in a bag, there's the 45 min standard wait.

You go through the arrival doors and the aul lad had been waiting there, delighted to see you. You nip over to the car park and he's exceeded the fucking 1 hour, because of long wait to get through the passport and the bags. The bill for 1 hour and ten mins is about 8€. Of course in a normal country the airport in the capital is nearly always linked to the city centre and transport hub via a direct train. In Paddyland that's not the case, there must be about 60 buses coming and going (all half empty) to far off locations. The whole thing is a farce.

I'm not even in my Dad's car and I'm already fed up.

So the way I see it, is that it's open season on Ireland, it's culture, traditions etc. If the irish people at home are not willing to fight to preserve and grow and develop it. It deserves to disappear.

George Floyd, a man with no connection to Ireland is killed by a police officer in another land. Irish people en masse, breaking social distancing rules to protest for black lives matter in another continent.

5 people die on the streets of Dublin last week...not an eyelid is bat.

So fuck Ireland.

OP
Mowl

Mowl

Slamming post - and well merited.

I'm the same, except it isn't just the night before the flight - it's the weeks since booking it and the ever-growing tension I feel building up in my tummy just destroys me. I can't sleep, can't get any rest - I just keep worrying all the time: how am I going to keep sane and hold my patience when I know in advance that I'm stepping backwards into chaos from sanity and efficiency?

The initial dealings with airport people is always a kick in the teeth too: The first hark of the accent usually followed by 'ah, shur - lookit' and so on as answer to reasonable questions like 'when's the next coach into the city' or 'why aren't there any taxis who know where I'm going and they have to guess?' - that to me is where my teeth start gnashing and I wish I was anywhere at all else.

I takes me a few days to come to terms with Dublin life - and that makes it difficult for those around me, family in particular. They see my frustration with everything but they can't fathom why - mainly because they're used to it all. Then they get angry with me and my 'high expectations' about Ireland that always fall short in reality. Of course, trying to explain my frustration only ever makes things worse - you know yourself I'm sure.

The Mammy asks why I'm not hungry and won't eat even though I haven't eaten since the day before I arrived. I try to explain that constitution isn't used to being battered like this and I'm at a loss as to myself and my whereabouts - not to mention how to cope with it all. If you complain outright then the answer is always the same:

'....ah, you and fucking stories about life in Finland, if it's so fucking great - then fuck off back home then...'

You can't win - it's only ever about to what degree of losing you can tolerate.

My level's pretty low in Ireland - I suppose that's because I've been all over the former eastern block countries south of here and even though they're considered merely post-Soviet shit-holes - things still seem to work properly and efficiently there, most to the dgree that'd put Ireland to fucking shame. Nothing worse for the heart and soul to return to one's homeland and realise that what everyone else is being told is that Ireland's a great little country going places and getting there fast - the reality is rather different though.

Thus

Staff member
Slamming post - and well merited.

I'm the same, except it isn't just the night before the flight - it's the weeks since booking it and the ever-growing tension I feel building up in my tummy just destroys me. I can't sleep, can't get any rest - I just keep worrying all the time: how am I going to keep sane and hold my patience when I know in advance that I'm stepping backwards into chaos from sanity and efficiency?

The initial dealings with airport people is always a kick in the teeth too: The first hark of the accent usually followed by 'ah, shur - lookit' and so on as answer to reasonable questions like 'when's the next coach into the city' or 'why aren't there any taxis who know where I'm going and they have to guess?' - that to me is where my teeth start gnashing and I wish I was anywhere at all else.

I takes me a few days to come to terms with Dublin life - and that makes it difficult for those around me, family in particular. They see my frustration with everything but they can't fathom why - mainly because they're used to it all. Then they get angry with me and my 'high expectations' about Ireland that always fall short in reality. Of course, trying to explain my frustration only ever makes things worse - you know yourself I'm sure.

The Mammy asks why I'm not hungry and won't eat even though I haven't eaten since the day before I arrived. I try to explain that constitution isn't used to being battered like this and I'm at a loss as to myself and my whereabouts - not to mention how to cope with it all. If you complain outright then the answer is always the same:

'....ah, you and fucking stories about life in Finland, if it's so fucking great - then fuck off back home then...'

You can't win - it's only ever about to what degree of losing you can tolerate.

My level's pretty low in Ireland - I suppose that's because I've been all over the former eastern block countries south of here and even though they're considered merely post-Soviet shit-holes - things still seem to work properly and efficiently there, most to the dgree that'd put Ireland to fucking shame. Nothing worse for the heart and soul to return to one's homeland and realise that what everyone else is being told is that Ireland's a great little country going places and getting there fast - the reality is rather different though.

If your FB followers want to represent them, perhaps you could work remotely from Finland. Home office is the new thing, plus you'd save the exchequer 38k per year in travel expenses.

If you were to attend the Dail via video conference, you'd probably have the best attendance record.

But then again, you'd have to work a lot with Paddy and talk over the phone with the gobshite.

OP
Mowl

Mowl

I appreciate your confidence (and indeed that of my neighbours) but the truth is that Ballyfermot people want a representative that has a local clinic for them to drop in with their issues and have a face to face with someone who can help them and for me to try to do that would be rather difficult. I get messages all the time from locals looking for advice on everything from family wills and estate dealings, legal procedures and court cases they're involved in, and everything else from family squabbles to relationship advice.

The crazy part is that they know I'm a divorcee, and likely not the best person to ask about how they should manage their feelings and relationships.

But they have a confidence in me that seems to make sense to them.

I can't see myself returning - not even for such a potentially wonderful and life-changing vocation and life experience. The numbers are there, and I'm reminded of it most days. I've made good friends and lost a few too, mostly due to having my own view on matters that doesn't always parallel theirs. But for the numbers required, yes: it's very possible. I've seen it with our local Sinn Fein and National Party party members.

Serina did very well - and she's hardly the most articulate of members, but the locals love her. Her house has become her clinic and she works very hard to keep them informed and cared for.

V

valamhic

Inm int Barn jhole my up - the next time I wills in too.

Crunty typw awlaids.

M'

OP
Mowl

Mowl

Two homeless deaths in the Phoenix Park over the Christmas period.

Damn, The Phoenix Park was my back garden when we lived along Martin's Row in Chapelizod. Even after the move up to Ballyfermot, I was still drawn to the park most days regardless of the season. The park is simply awesome no matter what the season. I often took a tent and stayed overnight, I'd set up under the trees nearby the Magazine Fort and in the early hours open the tent flaps to watch the deer grazing.

I wanted a set of antlers and always went down after the mating season and scoured the grass and trees for some. Never got a pair though.

Up here, moose horns are collectable for home decor: I made my own though: they're cut-offs from an experimental drum-set I'm working on at night.

moose.md.jpg

They look quite real when hung on the wall, but I'm re-coating them with wood dye and an layer of insulation to make them easier to clean. They're cut offs from a 22'' diameter bass drum I had lying around. The remaining sections of the shells are currently in my bedroom area hanging on the walls as book shelves.

When the drum set's complete, I'll be renting it out for video and performance props.

There's never been a drum-set like this built like this one before, it's totally unique.

Lordi are already lined up to use it for a video when they do their comeback tour next year, or whenever the market reopens.

Coal Gas and peat

Staff member
I might be fit to get you a set of antlers mowl :) I know a local crew who have shot about a dozen so far this winter......they only shoot them if they are sure it's going into someone's freezer.....the deer population has exploded up around the border in recent years......even in my local area North and South there is 20k acres for them to roam freely

Top Bottom