Home

Music

Mowl

My main man, DJ Mek of the legendary 'Scary Eire' does his thing in this five minute promo for this year's DMC in Tokyo three weeks back. This was his entry demo, and he was selected to represent Ireland again off the back of it. He won the global DMC twice back in the nineties, but they took the championship away from him second time around for coming out with a tri-colour around his neck and a tin of beans which he opened and ate, then sounded a bunch of fart samples into the mix.

The Japs went ape-shit and ran him out of town.

He didn't win this year but he did blow several minds off the stage with his twenty-minute two-decks and sampler live version. Check this one out, five minutes of your miserable life you'll remember forever - plus he rounds it off with 'McBrides' by Moving Hearts.

Killer mixing skills - check his right/left hands on the faders doing a Jimi Hendrix-esque mash-up of the decks?

That 'hammer time' just clangs out.

Mowl

Classic Flava Flav - love it! We really ought to use this one as our anthem on the Isle.

Lyrically and visually perfect, it reflects on the sad fact that every loser gets theirs in the end.

So let's spin it today for Deco Kelly, the last man standing.

Here's another one that we can play at dawn every day when the site wakes up.

Mowl

charlie.md.jpg

I can't fucking believe it.

Charlie's dead.

I had to check at five separate sources to confirm it, but yes: Charlie's taken his final exit - stage left.

The world is not the same place it was only fifteen minutes ago.

I'm fucking DEVASTATED.

My mentor, my teacher, my hero, - so long, and thanks for all the thrills and spills.

C Captain Con - seriously, what the fuck are we supposed to do now?

Just heard. Never knowingly at any time less than his own man. That's a lot to be able to say about a life. Admired him without knowing much about what a real musician he was. Brilliantly unfazed by anyone or anything.

I think I just admired the way the guy handled himself in life. One less very cool person on the planet today.

Mowl

A fellow musician friend over in the UK just remarked that the more Stones die, the better the band is getting.

A very muzo-type comment made to point out that Darryl Jones was a far more proficient player than Bill ever was, and that Steve Jordan who was recently listed as taking Charlie's throne on the upcoming US tour is a more technical player than Charlie was.

I couldn't help taking his thought process forward a few steps and wonder if when Ronnie or Keef die, Vernon Reid gets the gig, turning the Stones into a majority American band, composed of African Americans that is. Imagine the kids thinking the Rolling Stones are a great black American band?

Only the Stones could create the possibility of such a scenario.

A fellow musician friend over in the UK just remarked that the more Stones die, the better the band is getting.

A very muzo-type comment made to point out that Darryl Jones was a far more proficient player than Bill ever was, and that Steve Jordan who was recently listed as taking Charlie's throne on the upcoming US tour is a more technical player than Charlie was.

I couldn't help taking his thought process forward a few steps and wonder if when Ronnie or Keef die, Vernon Reid gets the gig, turning the Stones into a majority American band, composed of African Americans that is. Imagine the kids thinking the Rolling Stones are a great black American band?

Only the Stones could create the possibility of such a scenario.

That would work. the Rolling Stones were famously formed out of Brian Jones and Keith I think stopping to chat about some hard to get blues albums by black artists from the 30s on a bus or in the street.

It would be quite appropriate when you think of it, for the Stones to end up gradually as a blues band with black players. I like it. There's a very convincing circularity about it.

The Stones' version of 'Papa was a Rolling Stone' as the opener on the first album... jayze...

FFS. Charlie Watts. Imagine him counting in and caging Papa Was A Rolling Stone... no Charlie Watts. If you are going to face a serious line up change you might as well go full on.

Keith Richards. Still going. He's seen four Stones come and go from the line-up by my quick count and he was famously forecast in an infamous article in the 1970s to be among the favourites to check out early. Unbelievable. Keef will be the last, won't he?

Mowl

Imagine Mick outlives them all?

Given the sheer scale of his ego he might well choose say Vernon Reid to replace Keef or Ronnie, depending on who goes first. Then the next dead guitarist gets replaced by say Robert Cray? That'd leave Mick as the sole original Stone. Then he dies and nominates Bernard Fowler as his dep? The Stone are now an all black American band with not a single British/English root?#

Now, first off: that would be fucking amazing - a legendary way to go down without ever stopping nor gathering any moss.

Only the Stones could cosmically arrange things in such a way as for such a remote possibility become real. Not just real, but still not gathering any moss fifteen or twenty-five years after they're dead? At the point when all the deps/replacements are ready to die, then a whole load of Asians become Stones? Or Irish? Or Outer-Mongolian? The possibilities are endless.

And no, I'm not blubbering and that's just smoke got in my eyes.

Fuck off.

Top Bottom