Home

Nordic affairs

OP
Mowl

Mowl

A may 2013 entry about mowl from politics.ie

True, and very funny - but it has to be taken in context. That post was likely from Dun Eile, who supported me all the way (or possibly Gatsby Girl who fucking HATED me). The context of the thread is that I was railing against the clique on P.ie on a mega-thread that blew every other thread off the site for around ten days. The Missus was over in Dubai and I was by myself here and a bit bored, so I took on a project: eliminate the clique within a week.

It was fucking glorious - I tore the site apart and everyone had to choose a side: those who labeled me a misogynist were the very swine I was trying to kick. Those who sided with me were the site heavyweights: Sidewinder, Toxic Avenger, MoneyGod, Dun Eile, Mercurial, and a few other mods too. It went on and on and my posts were repeatedly quoted so that even after I was life-time banned, the quotes were still there years and years later.

Since then I've been told and reminded about it from stalwart members who riddle these sites over the last ten years or so.

That was Mowl's first big project: it was a massive success and it still has people scratching their heads at how I did it and got away with it.

I used the same technique on IPO and routed Hollandia - who got his balls handed to him.

Then there was that other site: PoliticsPie? I took that one down in around two or three days.

Now I have the reputation of being a forum destroyer - hence Ballbag, Hollandia, Dengler, and even Cass on PW.org making sure I'm silenced.

But I did what I did for good and pure reasons: to stop the flow of bullshitters talking shite about how big they were and how I was just a working class scruff with a chip on my shoulder. Fair enough - but then again it's also true that when the great book of Irish fora legends is finally written, chapter one is Mowl. So's the rest of them.

I regret and retract NOTHING I said.

Because I was right - and I proved myself right too, even in the face of the massive onslaught that tried to silence me.

That's how legends are made.

OP
Mowl

Mowl

Hah hah! Did you go through the thread?

It's a fucking gas if you read it without thinking/presuming I'm angry, rather I was being both ironic and as vicious as I could be, as there was only me against the whole site at first, but after a while the heavy weighted members began to see things my way and realised that I was right all along.

There are some classic moments on that thread.

I went through it myself a few months back after someone reminded me of it on here or elsewhere. The poster had all the best bits where I set posters up by lying to them to make them tell the truth. I caught one bitch by the fanny flaps by telling her that all her reports about me were rejected. She flipped and asked how I could possibly know she had reported me multiple times: I told her I didn't then, but I did now.

She went skulking off in a hissy fit of rage with everyone laughing at how easily I stung her.

There were days when I was laughing so hard at the responses I was getting that my sides were bursting and my jaw hurt.

So you can quote me anywhere on that thread and I'll still stand by it - my aim was accurate and consistent, it reduced most posters to hysteria at the way I called them out and then made them hang themselves on thread.

I doubt I've matured much since then - and of anything, then I'm even more like that nowadays than I was then.

Back then I was green, I knew fuck all about the manners required for most political fora as I was a stalwart on Twenty Major's blog: that was one seriously out there sites. Twenty encouraged us all to go the whole hog and name names, throw horrible shit at household names in Irish politics, media, and everything else and the general vibe of the mosh-pit being 'no holds barred'. Give it the full Monty and if you can't keep up the pace of being seriously liable and open to being arrested for what we said, then you get eaten alive. I broke my teeth on Twenty's members club and formed my online persona from there.

When Twenty shut it down and wiped everything - it was because the laws had changed and he would have found himself in court for hosting us moreso than we would have been for what we said and did. For anyone who remembers Twenty, those were fucking insane days online. How we got away with it was a feat in itself, but we all walked away clean.

By the time I got around to checking out politically dedicated fora, I was a terrible cunt for the language and the coarse behavioural patterns.

But to us? It was all good clean fun. I made friends with some characters from Twenty that I'm still very close with today. Some have even come to Helsinki to hang out with me. Great days, great posters, great site - but there's no way it could exist now. It's have us all in court in no time.

OP
Mowl

Mowl

Count me in.

Any fuckers that love to play games are welcome in my book.

That's what it's all about, not these fucking Catholic twats rambling on about dogma and doctrine and stroking their cocks/egos on line for all to see. Shower of fucking dullards who take themselves far too fucking seriously. Most of them are illiterate too, and me being a Ballyer head really wrecks their game because they expect me to be a typical sort when I'm not that easy to pin down.

They hate it when I hand them their nuts - it hurts all the more for them because I'm Ballyer and educated, not the rude boy/boot boy they try to box me up as. Like with Val: thinks he's the smartest man in Ireland, but he gets his balls cut every day by what he calls a working class whelp.

Now that HAS to hurt: smartest man in Ireland out-witted and out-smarted by a working class scruff?

That stings - it really stings.

Coal Gas and peat

Staff member
Twenty Major's last post
Mon, Apr 11, 2011, 01:00

SMALL PRINT:HIS TAGLINE was “still smoking in Dublin bars” but he’s no longer blogging in them. Twenty Major, Ireland’s most infamous blogger, has hung up his keyboard ending a seven-year stint of delighting and disturbing the tens of thousands of readers he accrued online.
Twenty’s crude nihilism endeared and offended in equal measure, mixing a heady cocktail that traversed Joyce via Withnail and I, as he charted the adventures of his friends Lucky Luciano, Jimmy the Bollix, Stinkin’ Pete, Hairy Mickey, Splodge and Dirty Dave as they shot the breeze in Ron’s Pub, with occasional appearances from his dog, Bastardface, and cat Throatripper.
He became an unlikely darling of the Irish blogosphere and the anonymous poster boy of online Irish writing.
His dominance at the Irish Blog Awards, netting seven trophies in three years, led to him ruling himself out of nominations by 2009. By then, he’d almost outgrown blogging, having
become the first Irish blogger to sign a book deal in 2007. The Order of the Phoenix Park was published by Hodder Headline in 2008, followed by Absinthe Makes The Heart Grow Fonder published by Hachette Books a year later.

Last week’s final post, titled Do Not Insert Coin, gave a simple farewell – “I’ll miss the chat and the laughs but that’s life” – followed by the inevitable use of the C-word, which was in many ways his trademark.

The retirement of possibly the finest writer in Irish blogging leaves a substantial deficit in a genre that has also lost its award ceremony when founder of the Irish Blog Awards Damien Mulley recently announced he would no longer be holding the event.

As for Twenty’s next move, he remains active in the retirement home for Irish bloggers that is Twitter, and hopefully creates a gap for some new prurient genius to fill.

Coal Gas and peat

Staff member

A good smoke in the 80's and 90's short and very strong

OP
Mowl

Mowl

Twenty Major's last post
Mon, Apr 11, 2011, 01:00

SMALL PRINT:HIS TAGLINE was “still smoking in Dublin bars” but he’s no longer blogging in them. Twenty Major, Ireland’s most infamous blogger, has hung up his keyboard ending a seven-year stint of delighting and disturbing the tens of thousands of readers he accrued online.
Twenty’s crude nihilism endeared and offended in equal measure, mixing a heady cocktail that traversed Joyce via Withnail and I, as he charted the adventures of his friends Lucky Luciano, Jimmy the Bollix, Stinkin’ Pete, Hairy Mickey, Splodge and Dirty Dave as they shot the breeze in Ron’s Pub, with occasional appearances from his dog, Bastardface, and cat Throatripper.
He became an unlikely darling of the Irish blogosphere and the anonymous poster boy of online Irish writing.
His dominance at the Irish Blog Awards, netting seven trophies in three years, led to him ruling himself out of nominations by 2009. By then, he’d almost outgrown blogging, having
become the first Irish blogger to sign a book deal in 2007. The Order of the Phoenix Park was published by Hodder Headline in 2008, followed by Absinthe Makes The Heart Grow Fonder published by Hachette Books a year later.

Last week’s final post, titled Do Not Insert Coin, gave a simple farewell – “I’ll miss the chat and the laughs but that’s life” – followed by the inevitable use of the C-word, which was in many ways his trademark.

The retirement of possibly the finest writer in Irish blogging leaves a substantial deficit in a genre that has also lost its award ceremony when founder of the Irish Blog Awards Damien Mulley recently announced he would no longer be holding the event.

As for Twenty’s next move, he remains active in the retirement home for Irish bloggers that is Twitter, and hopefully creates a gap for some new prurient genius to fill.

Great little link, thanks for that.

Twenty was a lovely bloke in real life. I got to know him after the entire site was obliterated, he had to destroy everything, otherwise he'd have ended up in the Joy, no doubt about that. The site skirted the very edge of the envelope, and often times we'd push it right over the edge and he'd have to show us where the line was.

We were all very happy cunts, and when the day came for the blog to close, we decided we'd open a private chat page on FB called 'The C-U-Next Tuesdays' so we could stay in touch. That obviously revealed all of our real names to each other, but we all knew each other well and made lasting online type friendships that are still healthy today. I even had one lady member come to stay on her first visit to Helsinki. It was a blast, we laughed and cried, drank more wine and laughed again at it all.

That's where Mowl came online first, as The Mowl, which was my childhood nickname in Ballyer growing up.

The cool thing about that was that everyone on the site knew what The Mowl actually was, so I didn't even have to explain what the word meant. Some wags even tried in in Ballyer-speak: 'awri' dayer, j'Mowl, story bro?'

I was in excellent company.

A good smoke in the 80's and 90's short and very strong

Yeps, I liked them but I preferred John Player Blacks - the longer ones with the long filter.

I also tried 'Death' cigarettes; anyone remember them?

Skull and cross-bones on the front?

Who is the blogger? It's not Mowl, Mowl only smokes girlie cigarettes (he admitted it himself)

Twenty Major - most outrageous blogger ever: he was Mowl's teacher at first, then his mentor, then he set me free to run wild.

Lovely bloke - from Kimmage originally but he had class.

I'm not sure mowl knows all about him he was on the blog .....I was not on any forums until 2010

I came across Twenty after reading an article in the Irish Times online about the Irish blog awards.

As soon as I saw what he was up to, I was in like Flynn.

Those days could never be repeated - a site like Twenty was seriously close to the edge. But the member's mosh pit? You had to have two nominees to vote for you to be allowed in. Once you were in it was impossible to leave, the madness went on all day and night. Amongst the members we saw one marriage, two deaths, one suicide, and several threats to have us all arrested.

When Twenty pulled it down, we'd already crossed every line ever laid down - nothing could be saved, it all had to go.

I have an external drive somewhere with loads of juicy bits - must dig it out and have a look-see.

Great memories - thanks for the link, made my day!

Paddy thinks every other country is a shitehole, so any chance they get to belittle other countries, they jump in both feet at the same time.
A lot of other countries are shitholes in fairness Thus. Anyone lucky enough to be living in any first world western country ain't doing too bad.

Even Jambo's fallen for that old trick.

Stay too long in Ireland and you start believing everywhere's the same corrupted shithole den of iniquity.

And worse still: tell Paddy there's actually one or two reasonably safe utopias and havens out there and he'll bark and howl at the moon, the sun, the stars, and the endless misery of rain and cloud and fog. Even today - I said to Jambo, see how fucked up things are for you?

Jambo's reply?

'She's a progressive and you're fucked...'

Even if you try to smack sense into some Irish people they still refuse the medicine.

It happened to me too: I remember arriving in France for the first time at age eighteen traveling alone. I was gobsmacked. The streets and boulevards, the buildings and amazing architecture everywhere. Museums, galleries, restaurants, terraces full of romantics drinking wine from the jug. Beautiful ladies giving me the eye. Everything working and running on time, no cracks in the veneer, just awesomeness followed by wow.

Bring the experience home and talk to Paddy about it?

'Ah, would you ever fuck off back there then? Stupid cunt, blah, blah, blah....'
My neighbour is French and says her fellow countrymen generally have quite a cynical outlook on life and complain a lot.
She says she much prefers the more relaxed attitude here although adds that this is changing.

Thus

Staff member
My neighbour is French and says her fellow countrymen generally have quite a cynical outlook on life and complain a lot.
She says she much prefers the more relaxed attitude here although adds that this is changing.
That is true, the French often complain, the source of their complaints is generally other French people.
The relaxed/laid back position goes down well with French people except when shit needs doing...then the « sure fuck it, it’ll be grand » attitude will seriously piss them off.

OP
Mowl

Mowl

For those with an interest in languages, here's a simple guide to the basics of everyday modern Finnish language.

I've added phonetic prompts to help you with pronunciation, and in that spirit I would suggest taking the lesson pronouncing the words aloud and in the correct syllabic tone rather than in your mind. Using the lips, tongue, and mouth to create the sounds you're making helps you to familiarize yourself with how Finns actually speak. This language won't work if you pronounce de wurdz loike it's in Dubbelineze - instead you have to be conscious of the tone and formation of the words.

For me, I usually drop down an octave when speaking Finnish with males: it's more familiar to their tone.

With ladies I do the same but I speak far more softly as I know how the various emphasis and tone works when they speak.

The one good thing about the language is that it reads as it looks.

With a few small exceptions with the additional two letters in the Finnish alphabet.

Hello: 'Moi!' (Moy!)

How are you?: 'Mitä kuuluu?' (Meeta koo-loo?)

I am fine!: 'Olen hyvä!' (Oh-len hoovah!)

Thank you: 'Kiitos!' (Key-toss!)

Yes: 'Joo!' (Yoo)

No: 'ei' (Pure A sound)

Today: 'Tänään' (Tah-naan,)

Tomorrow: 'Huomenna' (Hoo-oh-menn-ah)

Work: 'Tehdä työtä' (Tay-da-two-oh-ta)

Contract: 'Sopimuksen' (Soppy-muck-sen)

Year: 'vuosi' (Voo-oh-see)

Month: 'Kuukausi' (Koo-cow-see)

Week: 'viikko' (Vee-ko)

Day: 'Päivä' (Pie-vah)

Hour: 'Tunnin' (Tun-inn)

Money: 'Raha' (Rah-hah)

Morning: 'Aamu' (Ah-moo)

Afternoon: 'Iltapäivällä' (Eel-ta-Pie-vah-lah)

Night: 'Yöllä' (Ooh-oh-La)

One beer, please: 'Yksi olut kiitos' (Uck-see oh-lut key-toss)

Please send the hard copy: 'Lähetä paperiversio' (Lah-hay-tah pappery-vee-see-oh)

Want to spend the night? 'Haluatko viettää yön?' (Ha-loo-at-ko vee-taa ooh-on?)

Goodbye and thank you very much: 'Hyvästi ja kiitos paljon' (Hoo-vasty ya key-toss pal-yon)

See you! 'Nähdään!' (Nah-Dan)

Sexy! 'Seksikäs!' (Sexy-Cass!)

Cute: 'Söpö' (Sopp-po)

Him: 'Hän' (Hann) =

Her: 'Hän' (Hann) =

I want: 'Haluan' (Hal-ooh-ann)

I need: 'Tarvitsen' (Tar-vit-senn)

Fuck off: 'Vittu' (Veet-two)

Bastard: 'Paskiainen' (Pas-key-eye-nen)

Fool: 'Tyhmä' (Two-mah)

You see above how man and woman / him and her are the same? In Finnish, gender is assigned elsewhere in the sentence, you must frame the term in the gender it's set in, but hän (Hann) is also acceptable in basic Finnish.

Here's your one to ten in countdown:

Ten: 'Kymmenen' (Koo-men-enn)

Nine: 'Yhdeksän' (Ooh-deck-sann)

Eight: 'Kahdeksan' (Kah-deck-sann)

Seven: 'Seitsemän' (Szay-Tzee-mann)

Six: 'Kuusi' (Koo-see)

Five: 'Viisi' (Vee-see)

Four: 'Neljä' (Nell-Yah)

Three: 'Kolme' (Kohl-may)

Two: 'Kaksi' (Kack-see)

One: 'Yksi' (Uhk-see)

Often, people in Helsinki and other Finnish cities will use what we call 'Stadin Slangi' which is basically shortening common words for convenience sake. For example, when I count in a song playing live, I don't say the numbers as they written above (Ykis, Kaksi, Kolme, Nelja). Instead it's a type of abbreviated city slang term that shortens the word to its most basic function: so I count: 'Ooh-Kah-Ko-Nay' which is about half the work of saying Ykis, Kaksi, Kolme, Nelja. The first syllable is enough in Stadin Slangi.

Stadin slangi (city slang) is only ever used among the youth, you should never use any slang terminology when speaking with people older than you. That's especially true with the very old. Always use formal Finnish when speaking to your elders. It gets messy if you don't. Everyone will correct you, not just the oldie you're addressing!

Most Finnish words read as they look. the letters perform the same functions in Finnish as they do in English with a few minor exceptions.

The letters:

Y is 'Oo-oh'

J is 'Yo'

W is 'Vay'

V is also 'Vay'

X is 'Axa'

Q is 'Koo'

The alphabeth in phonetics:

Ah, Bay, Say, Day, A, Affa, Gay, Hoe, Eee, Jo, Ko, Al, Amm, Ann, Oh, Pey, Koo, Arr, Ass, Tay, Ooho, Vay, Vay, Axa, Awh, Zay.

Then there's the umlauts: these can be complex but the simplest key is to turn:

Ä to 'Awhh'

Ö to 'Owwh'

Letters which use the umlaut should not be confused with the same letters that don't have the umlaut. They are completely different letters and the basic trick is the place a longer and slower emphasis on umlauts used in common words.

I reckon that's enough to get you started. But if you have any problems or questions, just ask.

Ole Hyvää!

Top Bottom