Home

September 11th - 20th anniversary

Mowl

Over the last few evenings, I've been watching National Geographic documentaries on the 9/11 twenty year anniversary. One thing I've consistently noticed in all of the footage used in multiple documentaries that was filmed in and around ground zero lack one vital element: there are no dead bodies, no torn limbs, no jumpers landing on the glass above the entrance or lying dead on the ground.

In total I watched maybe six documentaries so far, they're all private productions carried out alongside or with the assistance of the official memorial groups and other institutions. Raw footage from the collapse stages are particularly clean of any blood or guts. Not that I was hoping for it, if anything, I was bracing myself for some hard-core footage.

But everything I've watched over the last four or five nights has all been cleaned up and presented in such a way as to eliminate any dead people from view. Including jumpers on descent in long distance shots of the towers burning and nearing the collapse stage. Other documentaries from the last several years showed the jumpers and the dead on the ground. These latest ones appear to be highly sanitized and re-framed to hide the carnage for some reason.

There's another brace of documentaries throughout the day and into the night on National Geographic.

They're mostly designed to tug at the heart-strings, in my opinion.

Like a kiddie meal at McDonald's.

Anyone else watching 9/11 material lately?

Any leads for interesting documentaries?

The earlier documents were harrowing, and it's been twenty years - so why all the vacuuming and polishing of the actual facts?

Like a kiddie meal at McDonald's.

As T.S.Eliot observed:- "Humankind cannot bear very much reality."

I was going to put a particular quote on the Quotes thread but maybe here:-

Someone who is perennially surprised that depravity exists, who continues to feel disillusioned (even incredulous) when confronted with evidence of what humans are capable of inflicting in the way of gruesome, hands-on cruelties upon other humans, has not reached moral or psychological adulthood. No one after a certain age has the right to this kind of innocence, of superficiality, to this degree of ignorance, or amnesia.

(Susan Sontag)

Anyway, my own enduring image of the 9/11 events was of the fire-fighters, kitted out in their gear, going into the tower blocks. While all others were getting the hell out of it. I don't really go much for talk of heroes and all the rest of it, so I hope this is not taken in the wrong way. But those guys were just common or garden people doing their job.

Mowl

As T.S.Eliot observed:- "Humankind cannot bear very much reality."

From elsewhere in the same poem, and perhaps poignant here too.

'Men and bits of paper, whirled by the cold wind
That blows before and after time,
Wind in and out of unwholesome lungs
Time before and time after...'

TS Eliot: Burnt Norton.

But those guys were just common or garden people doing their job.

So were the pilots in both planes.

That's likely a measure of how fucked up a world we occupy.

Cos this sure as fuck ain't living.

Top Bottom