Home

Snooker thread

DS86DS

Staff member
Administrator
Do you play snooker and/ or enjoy watching it? Personally, I enjoy both and have been watching yearly snooker tournaments on TV for as long as I can remember. It is a very difficult game to master, but always enjoyable to watch given the level of strategy and forward thinking that goes into each shot. It seems to be growing in popularity in China for one where they have been producing top quality players in recent years.

Mowl

Absolutely: the old Man introduced me to the games when I were a nipper and I fell in love with the discipline. We watched Alex 'Hurricane' Higgins every time he was on the box - got to meet him one night in an hotel in Temple Bar, manic man - like he was on crack and speed all the time. never had an empty hand, always a glass in it. Shame he died so tragically, broke, and broken down. A sad end to a glorious life.

My elder sister dated a guy who attended the championships in Sallins every time it was on. One noght he handed me his brochure and it had all the autographs of the big players of the day: Hurricane, Steve Davis, Ray with the big glasses, and loads more. It got nicked in school when I brought it in to show it off.

When I was a teenager, I hung with a guy called Daffo. He was a brilliant snooker player and we often bunked off to play pool over at one amusement place but he had a better angle: he had a fake student ID so we used to go into the PhIL in Trinity where they had five original snooker tables that used to belong to one of the royal households, it was in the room directly above the room used to shoot the movie 'Educating Rita' with Michael Caine. Beautiful tables, a smooth as silk and as old as the hills. It was free too - and the tables were full length, like three pool tables sort of long.

Great days - I was average, but Daffo could have been a contender, he was sheer brilliance with a cue.

These days I can manage a pool table, I don't think the snooker scale would suit me any more, but man I love to watch.

Ronnie's God as far as I'm concerned, but there was also that Welsh lad: what's his N.ame? Working class? Cheeky but highly skilled?

Ah - it'll come to me.

Beautiful game.

E

English James

Absolutely: the old Man introduced me to the games when I were a nipper and I fell in love with the discipline. We watched Alex 'Hurricane' Higgins every time he was on the box - got to meet him one night in an hotel in Temple Bar, manic man - like he was on crack and speed all the time. never had an empty hand, always a glass in it. Shame he died so tragically, broke, and broken down. A sad end to a glorious life.

My elder sister dated a guy who attended the championships in Sallins every time it was on. One noght he handed me his brochure and it had all the autographs of the big players of the day: Hurricane, Steve Davis, Ray with the big glasses, and loads more. It got nicked in school when I brought it in to show it off.

When I was a teenager, I hung with a guy called Daffo. He was a brilliant snooker player and we often bunked off to play pool over at one amusement place but he had a better angle: he had a fake student ID so we used to go into the PhIL in Trinity where they had five original snooker tables that used to belong to one of the royal households, it was in the room directly above the room used to shoot the movie 'Educating Rita' with Michael Caine. Beautiful tables, a smooth as silk and as old as the hills. It was free too - and the tables were full length, like three pool tables sort of long.

Great days - I was average, but Daffo could have been a contender, he was sheer brilliance with a cue.

These days I can manage a pool table, I don't think the snooker scale would suit me any more, but man I love to watch.

Ronnie's God as far as I'm concerned, but there was also that Welsh lad: what's his N.ame? Working class? Cheeky but highly skilled?

Ah - it'll come to me.

Beautiful game.
Mark Williams

Mowl

Thank you - that's been itching at me ever since.

I liked his style. He held himself in a kind of gauch lope, never assuming the straight-up gentleman deal that many do. Old traditions die hard, I guess. The kind of bloke you just knew had mad-out-of-its going on on a regular routine. And a swift player too. Isn't it amazing that as subtle a game as snooker can actually reveal so much about the personality and N.ature of the player by observing their silent game? That I've always enjoyed.

Nothing will ever come close to Alex 'H' Higgins at his most extreme - he was the Pele, the Shakespeare, and the Picasso of snooker.

E

English James

Davis - Taylor black ball.. watched live.

Only a kid so no smoking for me (not even a shandy) :)

The one thing about the family was that although we were split in gender terms (evenly) we all loved watching snooker :)

I was a big Jimmy white fan but Jimmy could never get there :confused: Jimmy had serious cue power in the late 80's early 90's......way more than Hendry or Ronnie

E

English James

I was a big Jimmy white fan but Jimmy could never get there :confused: Jimmy had serious cue power in the late 80's early 90's......way more than Hendry or Ronnie
I might debate that with you but eh.. yeah.

Loved Jimmy, such a shame he lost all those finals

D

Deleted member 289

Saw Hendry play O'Sullivan in Citywest years ago. O'Sullivan was only starting out and Hendry was a big favourite. O'Sullivan stole the show.

Do you play snooker and/ or enjoy watching it? Personally, I enjoy both and have been watching yearly snooker tournaments on TV for as long as I can remember. It is a very difficult game to master, but always enjoyable to watch given the level of strategy and forward thinking that goes into each shot. It seems to be growing in popularity in China for one where they have been producing top quality players in recent years.

The problem these days is the lack of snooker tables, when I was younger we went for a game of snooker and a few scoops every weekend.
There was several pubs in my area that had tables, they are long gone, the tables not the pubs. I was pretty crap btw, but I enjoyed it.

Mowl

I have a tiny snooker table I use sometimes with guests.

It's only ten inches long by about four wide and has tiny balls and tiny cues.

Great fun after a few glasses of wine.

Mowl

When I lived in Ranelagh, we had a snooker hall which was outstanding; excellent tables, all balls and cues in great order, and decent enough fees.

You could bring your own drinks in too, which made it even more popular but the door policy was tight enough to keep the scrotes out.

In fact, one of our own champions played and practiced there - what was his N.ame again?

The guy who stuck out his tongue at the audience when he was making his killer win pot?

Edit: Ken something?

Mowl

Jason's in Ranelagh ......Ken bought his crucible winning cue off them for 5 punt

That's the joint alright - nice one, Lalo.

I played there often myself and if there wasn't a table available then there was a bar just up the road that had excellent pool and snooker tables.

Then a swing by the Chinese on the Triangle for Chicken Bang-Bang for supper.

Magic.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom