Home

Soccer thread

DS86DS

Staff member
Administrator
Thread for all World Cup 2022 talk and the qualifiers leading up to it.

▪Are you happy with the venue, aka. Qatar, which has a harsh climate you'd think unsuitable for football?

▪Which country do you think will win the tournament?

▪How far do you think Ireland will go in the qualifiers and / or the World Cup itself if by some miracle we did qualify.

▪Will you laugh when England get knocked out after all of their newspapers claim (once again) that they'll win it.

Mowl

1; Paddy hates the dry heat - it drains him in no time.

2; America will buy a win - or else threaten war.

3; About as far as the local Irish pub in Qatar.

4; Yes, until I get the dry heaves.

Thread for all World Cup 2020 talk and the qualifiers leading up to it.

▪Are you happy with the venue, aka. Qatar, which has a harsh climate you'd think unsuitable for football?

▪Which country do you think will win the tournament?

▪How far do you think Ireland will go in the qualifiers and / or the World Cup itself if by some miracle we did qualify.

▪Will you laugh when England get knocked out after all of their newspapers claim (once again) that they'll win it.

I don't watch or have any interest in soccer, but the level of corruption to get this over the line must have been off the charts. I think the event should be boycotted by sports fans. Easy for me to say I know as I won't be watching anyway.

I don't watch or have any interest in soccer, but the level of corruption to get this over the line must have been off the charts. I think the event should be boycotted by sports fans. Easy for me to say I know as I won't be watching anyway.
This one is going to be in December ....I won't see it either because I will be working nights if still alive in December 2022

D

Deleted member 289

Next year we will have the Euros and Olympics, going to be strange having a World Cup a year later.

Lets hope COVID has gone or we may end up with nothing!

OP
DS86DS

DS86DS

Staff member
Administrator
Coming from a family where as far as the Premier League is concerned, Man U being the best thing since sliced bread, their track record since the departure of Alex Ferguson can only be described as dismal. After Liverpool's glory years during the 70s and 80s, beginning in the early 90s it became the Red Devils time to shine.

Growing up I have fond memories of being in the pub with family and relatives, usually with a packet of crisps and bottle of coke or 7up watching Man U play on the big screen. That United would win that particular season seemed more than feasible, if not inevitable. Ferguson's pissed off demeanour would often be a source of amusement for everyone in the pub, aka. I wouldn't like to be X, Y or Z player at half time after that piss poor performance. But it was a manager and team which got results whether in the domestic English league or the European championships.

It now seems like a long time ago at this stage and a team belonging to another era. No matter who they employ as manager or how much money they throw at new players they simply cannot seem to revive the glory years when players such as Cantona, Giggs, Keane etc. were doing there thing.

Can United ever get back to top form, or is an era of continued terminal decline more likely in the end?

OP
DS86DS

DS86DS

Staff member
Administrator
It's no secret that the League of Ireland is in every way conceivable an amateur league with football teams that leave much to be desired in terms of gameplay and overall skill levels. Perhaps one factor is that for a small country of about 4 million people, the best of players are spread out too thinly over too many teams with nearly every town with a population of barely 10,000 having it's own. England by comparison has 55 million people or thereabouts and the Greater London Area alone has a population three times greater than that of the entire Republic of Ireland.

Would a 32 All-Ireland LoI model akin to the GAA model be a better way to go about organising things perhaps? I'd imagine that a Dublin FC for instance would be a decent enough team having it's pick of the best players from among Shelbourne / Bohs / Pats / Rovers etc. A Dublin FC might also be a team that could perhaps even compete in European championships and do decently.

OP
DS86DS

DS86DS

Staff member
Administrator
A day of mourning for Irish football and indeed for many within England - Jack Charlton, the legendary Irish manager who along with his brother Bobby was a part of the England team of 1966 which won that year's tournament has sadly passed.

Whether defending for England or Leeds Ltd, or bringing hope and joy to millions of Irish fans around the world during the early to mid-90s, he will be forever remembered as a great player and a sensible man who produced results with the players and teams at his disposal. He arguably remains the best manager the Republic of Ireland ever had, and I'm sure many of us have fond memories of Italia 90 World Cup in particular when it certainly seemed as if the Boys in Green could do anything and go anywhere. Since the departure of Charlton, it's certainly been a downward spiral ever since.

RIP Jack Charlton, the legendary footballer and manager who brought hope to million and will forever be remembered among player, team and fan alike.

Mowl

He was well paid.

Why couldn't Ireland offer a better option? She throws endless millions at Irish sport. Where's the talent so?

We have to import talent?

Seriously?

He was well paid.

Why couldn't Ireland offer a better option? She throws endless millions at Irish sport. Where's the talent so?

We have to import talent?

Seriously?
Paul mcgrath....Steve staunton....Niall Quinn ....Frank Stapleton.....John Giles....Liam Brady.....Roy keane....Robbie keane......Damian Duff ....Ronnie Whelan .....Richard Dunn.....Gary kelly......Seamus Coleman

Bit of talent in that list Mowl :cool:

I'm sad Jack has passed on he was in it with us all the way ...the old school gaffer is now a thing of the past
Also he prepared them here in monaghan at the nuremore hotel all that time and of course who could forget monaghan champion milk

Last edited by a moderator:

Mowl

Paul mcgrath....Steve staunton....Niall Quinn ....Frank Stapleton.....John Giles....Liam Brady.....Roy keane....Robbie keane......Damian Duff ....Ronnie Whelan .....Richard Dunn.....Gary kelly......Seamus Coleman

Bit of talent in that list Mowl :cool:

There is alright, but what I'm asking is why we couldn't come up with a manager/coach of Jack's standards ourselves - we had to import Jack from the UK.

There is alright, but what I'm asking is why we couldn't come up with a manager/coach of Jack's standards ourselves - we had to import Jack from the UK.
We had already tried John Giles and Eoin hand and Jack wasn't even supposed to get the job it had been offered to Bob paisley who had accepted but there was some kind of fuck up and it went to Jack

Mowl

We had already tried John Giles and Eoin hand and Jack wasn't even supposed to get the job it had been offered to Bob paisley who had accepted but there was some kind of fuck up and it went to Jack

There's no doubt that Charlton turned Irish soccer completely around.

I just wish it had been an Irishman who took us into the quarters - that'd have been some party.

Top Bottom