Home

The guns and ammo thread

Thread for discussion about all firearms from the invention of gunpowder to the modern era
What is your experience ? What weapons have you fired?
https://m.youtube.com/user/ForgottenWeapons
Forgotten weapons above is a great channel for anyone into world war 2 stuff like me :)

I will get the ball rolling and say for me it would have to be the classic 1911 .45 Browning colt

Some thump off this bitch :cool:

EZ2JJ17i_M1911A1.png

Mowl

That's exactly what I have here, CG&P: a mini Colt 45 in gold finish copy with a clip that holds fifteen 9mm pellets. My game is simple: hang an empty beer can from the corner of the ceiling by a string and sit back in the Lazyboy and take aim at the centre of the can. The clip holds fifteen pellets, so each of the first eight or ten pellets will gradually form a dent in the can if I keep hitting the same spot. The objective is to make enough of a dent that a hole begins to appear by the eleventh or twelfth shot.

I use the last few pellets to try to get the last (or penultimate) pellet INTO the can before the clip is empty.

It's a fun game and no pellets are wasted because they can be reused time and again. Over in Dublin I have a Luger copy I picked up from a gun shop in Basel, Switzerland some years back. I threw it into my traps case and it made it through customs no bother. I'd like to bring it up here but of course I can buy one very easily. Everyone up here has a gun, most are also trained to use them in their obligatory military service.

I once held a sawn-off shotgun out in Ballyboughal at a friends place and was meant to shoot it at a frying pan hanging from a branch, except I couldn't do it.

No idea why, but I just couldn't pull the trigger of a real piece of firearms.

I handed it back and watched instead.

The fucker just sprayed the entire tree with metal pellets.

valamhic

Are guns legal up in Finland? They are certainly very strict about gun ownership in Ireland.
Rifles up to .22 calibre (but not .22/250) are permitted on licence costing 80 Euros for 3 years. Shotguns of the sporting type
are permitted on licence 80 for 3 years. Rifles above .22/250 and higher calibre rifles are only licenced for deer hunting.

Handguns are not allowed except as a member of a club which is pain in the arshe. Membership of a club costs at least 360 Euros annually.

Rifles can be centrefire or rimfire but if centrefire they can only be hand reloaded and not semi auto. Fully auto are not allowed. Semi auto shotguns
are allowed but limited to 3 cartridges.

valamhic

For a bit of inexpensive shooting fun, its hard to beat my favourite firearm. The .22 Long Rifle in lever or bolt action. I found the semi autos jam a lot
but the Ruger 10/22 has a good N.ame of not jamming. A good .22 LR will hit a hens egg at 70 yards in calm weather. It is ideal for rabbits.

I have a Tikka t3 in .223 and an under and over Beretta sporter. I had a nice little Spanish Larranaga side by side shotgun but I could not get parts and let it go. It was a sweet little shooter on game. The ,223 will shoot more accurate than I can aim it. It has an unbelievable bang, it would blow the ears of you. On a relatively calm day I can be sure to hit an egg at 150 yards. Ammo is expensive 80 cent to 1.30 euros. Its not the same fun as the .22 LR.

I might not keep it long term, but the experience of having it was great. It will fire bullet weights from 35 to 90 grains

DS86DS

Staff member
Administrator
I have always been fascinated with the gunslingers of the Old West. One of the most interesting and famous being Wild Bill Hickok, aka. The fastest gun in the West. A veteran of the American Civil War and a former US Marshall in Kansas, he could apparently draw his Colt 1851 N.avy revolver and fire it in 0.175 seconds, bringing down opponents at an amazing distance.

In HBO's Deadwood.

valamhic

I have always been fascinated with the gunslingers of the Old West. One of the most interesting and famous being Wild Bill Hickok, aka. The fastest gun in the West. A veteran of the American Civil War and a former US Marshall in Kansas, he could apparently draw his Colt 1851 N.avy revolver and fire it in 0.175 seconds, bringing down opponents at an amazing distance.

In HBO's Deadwood.

It was over a pocket watch in Kansas. 75 yards through the heart. .36 round ball. I was in the place he was shot in Deadwood in 1999

valamhic

The revolver came about after the invention of the percussion cap containing fulminate of mercury. This is corrosive to brass but the early revolves had no cartridge cases to corrode. The first was the Colt Patterson which was .36 and underpowered. The barrel was removed to load but it was a 5 shot. Next came the Walkel horse pistol. A massive thing i, .44 calibre. The dragoons came next which were still heavy in .44 calibre.

The 1851 N.avy in .36 calibre was the first hand size belt pistol and a classic. There was an original on sale in NI 4 years ago for 1400 sterling. I did not buy.

It was extremely pointable but it was held together by a bolt through the cylinder which was screwed into the frame by a 5/16 (8mm) bolt only threaded the
length of a babies 1st finger joint. If pressure were applied sideways (sitting on it) this thread tended to loosen causing a wobble. Still these were very accurate revolvers when minded. Elmer Keith in his book sixguns had one in the 1920's and he found it very accurate. I fired one in Italy and another in America and
it shot a little high, but only a little. It was capable of hitting an orange at 25 yards when shooting from a rest.

In 1860 the .44 Colt Army came out also with an open frame and and the Sherrifs model of these was the most pointable N.aturally balanced handgun ever made.

Mowl

Are guns legal up in Finland? They are certainly very strict about gun ownership in Ireland.

Yes, most people outside the cities have guns in their homes. To buy a gun, you can either join a member's club and take a class in maintenance and use which is cheap and afterwards entitles you to buy a weapon and a license. Or you can purchase your assigned weapon from your military training through N.ational conscription. We need to have guns an rifles because of the wildlife: wolves, wildcats, big dumb moose, deer in large numbers, bears and so on.

An adult moose when frightened or startled can take a short cut through your house when it feels threatened. They're massive things, big bulky lumps of animal that have total freedom up north in the wilds, but further south we have to install moose fences along the motorways to stop them spilling out onto the roads and causing accidents. Hot a moose at high speed and the moose might get to walk away - but you won't.

Find yourself lost in the forests come evening time/feeding time and you'd better be armed or else capable of climbing to a great height up a tree to avoid becoming supper for a wolf-pack. The last year has seen the wilds come ever closer to the south as people as locked down. Towns up north are frequently reporting herds passing through the main streets and even invading gardens and patios.

Hunting and foraging are also lifestyles for many up north - they need high powered rifles and guns kill wildlife for something to eat.

Most of the school shootings up here in the last ten years (there are three I can think of) were pissed off schoolkids who either joined a club and took a lesson to get a license or else took the family rifle off the wall and brought that with them. We can't outlaw guns as they're necessary tools for survival only a few hundred miles north from here. Even the northern end of Uusimaa has seen wildlife appearing on the streets - wolves, elks, moose families, etc.

Here in Arabia we have a problem with hares: they're basically huge rabbits who eat the bark off the young trees in the city parks and green areas. At times they need culling when their numbers are too greast so they make for good target practice too. If they burrow onto your land, you have to get rid of them: most people lay poison, others a little poison but lots of target practice. The hares are often stripped and cooked.

I've eaten deer a few times and it's good - quite chewy compared to a steak, but not cheap either. Traditionally, some deer is cooked for certain days of the year like Christmas and Easter.

There are guns shops all over Helsinki - you can walk in and try things out but you must have a license to buy either hardware or bullets.

These same shops also stock knives of all kinds and for all sorts of uses.

But a knife isn't going to save you if you're surrounded by a pack of wolves, those fuckers will tear you to shreds in minutes. Same with moose when they charge, you have to get the hell out of their way fast or you're going to be battered and crushed to death. They don't bite, they just panic and run at you, or in any direction open to them, any direction except backwards.

We also have lots of gun/hobby shops selling vast ranges of pellet guns and airsofts. These don't require a license, but at the same time if you're caught carrying one in the city you'll be arrested and taken in for processing. I have my Colt .45 for home use and practice shooting beer cans hung from the ceiling and I once took it out for a party on the beach for midsummer's night over in Herttoniemi. I used it to keep the damned seagulls off - these fuckers take food out of your hands if they think they can. A pellet scares them off if you hit them. It won't kill them, not even bruise them, but it'll get them off your back. They don't make much noise either so a direct hit is best.

valamhic

Yes, most people outside the cities have guns in their homes. To buy a gun, you can either join a member's club and take a class in maintenance and use which is cheap and afterwards entitles you to buy a weapon and a license. Or you can purchase your assigned weapon from your military training through N.ational conscription. We need to have guns an rifles because of the wildlife: wolves, wildcats, big dumb moose, deer in large numbers, bears and so on.

An adult moose when frightened or startled can take a short cut through your house when it feels threatened. They're massive things, big bulky lumps of animal that have total freedom up north in the wilds, but further south we have to install moose fences along the motorways to stop them spilling out onto the roads and causing accidents. Hot a moose at high speed and the moose might get to walk away - but you won't.

Find yourself lost in the forests come evening time/feeding time and you'd better be armed or else capable of climbing to a great height up a tree to avoid becoming supper for a wolf-pack. The last year has seen the wilds come ever closer to the south as people as locked down. Towns up north are frequently reporting herds passing through the main streets and even invading gardens and patios.

Hunting and foraging are also lifestyles for many up north - they need high powered rifles and guns kill wildlife for something to eat.

Most of the school shootings up here in the last ten years (there are three I can think of) were pissed off schoolkids who either joined a club and took a lesson to get a license or else took the family rifle off the wall and brought that with them. We can't outlaw guns as they're necessary tools for survival only a few hundred miles north from here. Even the northern end of Uusimaa has seen wildlife appearing on the streets - wolves, elks, moose families, etc.

Here in Arabia we have a problem with hares: they're basically huge rabbits who eat the bark off the young trees in the city parks and green areas. At times they need culling when their numbers are too greast so they make for good target practice too. If they burrow onto your land, you have to get rid of them: most people lay poison, others a little poison but lots of target practice. The hares are often stripped and cooked.

I've eaten deer a few times and it's good - quite chewy compared to a steak, but not cheap either. Traditionally, some deer is cooked for certain days of the year like Christmas and Easter.

There are guns shops all over Helsinki - you can walk in and try things out but you must have a license to buy either hardware or bullets.

These same shops also stock knives of all kinds and for all sorts of uses.

But a knife isn't going to save you if you're surrounded by a pack of wolves, those fuckers will tear you to shreds in minutes. Same with moose when they charge, you have to get the hell out of their way fast or you're going to be battered and crushed to death. They don't bite, they just panic and run at you, or in any direction open to them, any direction except backwards.

We also have lots of gun/hobby shops selling vast ranges of pellet guns and airsofts. These don't require a license, but at the same time if you're caught carrying one in the city you'll be arrested and taken in for processing. I have my Colt .45 for home use and practice shooting beer cans hung from the ceiling and I once took it out for a party on the beach for midsummer's night over in Herttoniemi. I used it to keep the damned seagulls off - these fuckers take food out of your hands if they think they can. A pellet scares them off if you hit them. It won't kill them, not even bruise them, but it'll get them off your back. They don't make much noise either so a direct hit is best.
What about hand guns? Are they allowed? There are effectively banned in ROI and British mainland but allow in NI. Lefties lover to ban them

Mowl

What about hand guns?

There are hand-guns available, but gun-shop dealers will vet you thoroughly and contact/register with the police for private hand-gun sales: they have to be registered in your N.ame and no-one else can use it. You must buy a lock-box for it too - only one key for the owner and one more for local the police station.

Are they allowed?

For military and policing purposes yes, but for private people, only in exceptional circumstances and for registered N.ational or local competitions. You can buy one but the rules are complex and not instantaneous, you have to include the police services in the registration of a hand-gun.

There are effectively banned in ROI and British mainland but allow in NI.

I often imagine what young Paddy would be like if we had N.ational conscription at home in Ireland. To be honest, I always come to the same conclusion: we're blessed not to have our kids sent to the military for a year of conscripted service and training. There'd be bodies all over the place if you gave Paddy a rifle.

Lefties lover to ban them

Your political views are irrelevant concerning gun/rifle sales: there's no questionnaire, just training, registration, and licensing. A member of Perussuomalaiset can buy a gun in the same manner as a centre left/right sitting party member. Finns take training and study very seriosuly, regardless of the N.ature of what they're doing. This is reflected in our positioning in the world index for all manner of excellence whether intellectual, sporting, political, or otherwise.

Example: if you choose to be a musician you'll have to get your degree to work in state opera, ballet, theatre, etc. You're expected to show up on time and at the top of your game. No shilly-shallying is acceptable. Same with anything else you do - you have to be great/excellent at it to even get the audition.

Outsiders like me have it extra hard, but I don't mind - I enjoy the challenge and of all the projects I've worked on up here, 99% of the time I always get my end as a hired hand first because of how I play my game. Example: I got an offer to do an album and two singles for a junior band from Simpila, right on the Russian border to the east. As money was tight, I didn't demand a wage, instead I took an apartment belonging to the manager's family who are in the letting/leasing game. The work took fourteen months of pre-production and then post-production, mixing, mastering, designing, printing, distribution, etc. The we had to release two singles and get them into the charts (I did that for less than €500 - ask me if you're interested) so we could work the festival circuits. I got the first single into the top ten at number seven the first week, then it crawled up to fourth before disappearing again. That got us lots of radio and television, so getting the festivals was much easier with that under our belts. When the project finally hit the rocks, I wanted out as I had other offers. The players got nothing out the single, album, or live tours. They made enough to cover their costs and investment.

But I had a free three-bed apartment for two years plus, which saved me around €18,000/20,000 in rental fees.

So in the end, I got the lion's share of the booty, indirectly yes, but still - I came out better off than any of them did. Getting the single into the charts by playing the rigged game gained me notoriety and plenty of offers because of the cut of my jib. You have to know how the game works, otherwise (like these guys) you get eaten alive. Everything you put out is taken and used but you get nothing back. I don't make those mistakes, I'm too long in the game.

Besides, I managed to convince them that I was only a little older than they were, when in fact the age gap was almost twenty years.

Top Bottom