Home

The guns and ammo thread

valamhic

One of the worst moves a politician running for office in America could make is running on a platform for repealing the Second Amendment to the US Constitution of 1789.

I wish we had it in Ireland. But I have no interest in machine guns or machine pistols. I would settle for the existing shotgun laws, we should be allowed all calibres of centrefire rifles but not semi auto or full auto modes. The present rimfire rifles laws are OK but we should be allowed have a small calibre hand gun.

It won't happen of course, We will be lucky to keep what we have.

Pruitt

Interesting! I live in Texas and I have built a gun collection over the years. Texas has a lot of Liberals from around the major cities. They seem to cater to minorities. I have only one pistol, a CZ 75 in 9mm. I love this gun! I sleep with it (in its case). I have a selection of shotguns and rifles. Several are what I consider "toys". I bought my grandsons shotguns and 22's. I have bought most of my nephews a gun. I am getting too old and crippled to hunt anymore. I hunt birds and small critters up to deer.

Pruitt

valamhic

Interesting! I live in Texas and I have built a gun collection over the years. Texas has a lot of Liberals from around the major cities. They seem to cater to minorities. I have only one pistol, a CZ 75 in 9mm. I love this gun! I sleep with it (in its case). I have a selection of shotguns and rifles. Several are what I consider "toys". I bought my grandsons shotguns and 22's. I have bought most of my nephews a gun. I am getting too old and crippled to hunt anymore. I hunt birds and small critters up to deer.

Pruitt
CZ is a great manufacturer. They were to the forefront with hammer forged barrels which are equal to if nit better than the best button rifled ones.

The CZ .204 current model with double set trigger is about as good as they get. Very Very accurate.

valamhic

Pruitt
What is the weather like there in Texas to day? We hear about storms. Here in Ireland it is mild, about 8 degrees, very windy (from the south) intermittent rain.

It would blow your hat off here and it makes noise in the trees.. It is overcast with no sun, there was sun yesterday and it was a nice bright day.

Pruitt

We had snow on the ground for three days and on cars and such for four. It has definitely warmed up. February is a strange month down here. I remember helping my Father in Law plant his truck garden many years ago in the middle of February. This February we had snow! Several years back I remember driving home (hour long) and it was in blowing snow! This is the only time I have ever driven home so slow at 45 MPH! It was on March 1st!

I really hope that Spring has Sprung as we say it down here. That means less chance of a Freeze and more chance of violent weather. Tornadoes and such! Soon the heat will be here! With luck we will have the pipes fixed sometime soon. We only have about half the water lines fixed right now. Only one of three toilets are working now!

Don't forget that Ireland is at the same latitude as Maine over here. Your weather patterns have to traverse oceans to get to you. Ours come down from Canada! This part of Texas is about the same latitude as Sicily!

Pruitt

DS86DS

Staff member
Administrator
Have you ever been to the Alamo? I've always been surprised as to how so few men could hold off a large Mexican force with superior weaponry for days on end.

Pruitt

The US has a different culture than European countries. Several times over the years citizens have had to rise up and remove governments that were oppressing them. The last successful time was in Tennessee right after WWII. The local County Sheriff finally aggravated enough locals so they blockaded the local Jail/Courthouse. These guys did not have good firearms so they went to the local N.ational Guard Armory and "borrowed" most of the weapons there. There was several days of shooting back and forth and the Sheriff screamed to the Governor to come save him and his people. The Governor arranged a cease fire and a special recall election was held. This time the Sheriff did Not pick up the ballot boxes to count the results. He was removed from office and a new Sheriff elected. The locals returned the firearms "borrowed" to the armory.

I can only hope your countries run governments better.

Pruitt

Pruitt

Have you ever been to the Alamo? I've always been surprised as to how so few men could hold off a large Mexican force with superior weaponry for days on end.
Yes, several times. There is not much left to the original mission as San Antonio has grown around the area and built up. All that is left is the Chapel.

Have you ever heard of Goliad? More Texans died there. They were commanded by an even bigger idiot (Fannin) than the guys at the Alamo.

It took several days for the Mexican Army to get there and their siege guns showed up last. Santa Ana did not order the assault for over a week. The Defenders were caught asleep when the Mexicans came over the walls. It was still quite expensive. The Defenders had captured thousands of Muskets when they took San Antonio and they loaded them like shotguns to use after they fired their own weapon. Each Defender had about five or six ready weapons to use. Davy Crockett likely was executed after the battle with some other guys who thought they could surrender.

The famous "Runaway Scrape took place after news of Goliad and the Alamo reached the main Texan settlements. Some people did not stop until they were back in Louisiana.

Pruitt

DS86DS

Staff member
Administrator
Yes, several times. There is not much left to the original mission as San Antonio has grown around the area and built up. All that is left is the Chapel.

Have you ever heard of Goliad? More Texans died there. They were commanded by an even bigger idiot (Fannin) than the guys at the Alamo.

It took several days for the Mexican Army to get there and their siege guns showed up last. Santa Ana did not order the assault for over a week. The Defenders were caught asleep when the Mexicans came over the walls. It was still quite expensive. The Defenders had captured thousands of Muskets when they took San Antonio and they loaded them like shotguns to use after they fired their own weapon. Each Defender had about five or six ready weapons to use. Davy Crockett likely was executed after the battle with some other guys who thought they could surrender.

The famous "Runaway Scrape took place after news of Goliad and the Alamo reached the main Texan settlements. Some people did not stop until they were back in Louisiana.

Pruitt

I'm certainly fascinated by the Alamo, though I've never been. I liked the 2004 film with Billy Bob Thornton and Dennis Quaid if you've ever seen it. Do you reckon an independent Texas would have lasted with the long border with Mexico to defend against on it's own?

Pruitt

Texas survived on its own for a number of years. The odds on Mexico getting organized enough to campaign into Comanche country were low. One of the major causes of the Mexican American War was when President Polk claimed the borders Texas claimed. Texas did not control South of the Nueces River or Eastern New Mexico. I enjoyed that movie but I thought Dennis Quaid in a tricorn hat looked a bit ridiculous. It was worse than giving Billy Bob Thornton a Coonskin Cap! Long soft brim hats were in fashion in the US unless you were in a tuxedo with a Beaver Skin Hat.

Pruitt

Mowl

Who says the least in a Clink Eastwood film?

No Whikky during lent except Paddy's day.

Clink who now?

The M1 Garand .....the standard issue rifle to US servicemen in world war 2 and The Korean war

s-l640.md.jpg

I met an Englishman on the ferry from Liverpool to Dublin once who fought in Korea. I sat at his table and he introduced himself and we got talking. He was on his way to Sligo where he had family and was going to retire there. He had a bottle of vodka and we opened it and had a few shots. Then I asked him about Korea and what he experienced there. His skin turned grey at the mere question.

The more we drank, the more beans he spilled about his time there. He told me some seriously horrific things about captured soldiers being boiled alive, others having their skin removed but kept alive to out the fear into the attacking armies. Heads on sticks, the works. By the time we got into Dun Laoire, I was as drunk as I've ever been and I passed out.

My travel partner and the old man carried me off the boat and dumped me at the front door of the N.ational Maritime Museum, where I worked only a year before as the house sign-writer/calligrapher. My old boss, Stella Archer, found me there and called an ambulance. I woke up at the local hospital and my girlfriend was sitting by my bed. I asked where I was and how I got there and she told me that Ms Archer was asked to call her to tell her to collect me when I woke up after getting my stomach pumped.

I wish we had it in Ireland. But I have no interest in machine guns or machine pistols. I would settle for the existing shotgun laws, we should be allowed all calibres of centrefire rifles but not semi auto or full auto modes. The present rimfire rifles laws are OK but we should be allowed have a small calibre hand gun.

Why would an Irishman need a gun?

It won't happen of course,

Good.

We will be lucky to keep what we have.

We? Who's this 'we' you speak of, Thicko?

Pruitt

Mine are both classed as hobby/toy guns - they only shoot pellets, but I enjoy some target practice in the comfort of my own home.

Beer cans, annoying bluebottle flies, and landed mosquitos.

Here in Ireland it is mild, about 8 degrees, very windy (from the south) intermittent rain.

Are you warming up to a weather bulletin on RTE, Val?

Try doing it in a little red dress: the folks back home in Cavan love a man in high-heels.

It would blow your hat off here and it makes noise in the trees..

Ahhh, no: not noise in the trees, Val.

That's terrible.

Fecking noisy trees.

It is overcast with no sun, there was sun yesterday and it was a nice bright day.

You win today's prize in our weekly 'Spot The Obvious' game show.

We had snow on the ground for three days and on cars and such for four. It has definitely warmed up. February is a strange month down here. I remember helping my Father in Law plant his truck garden many years ago in the middle of February. This February we had snow! Several years back I remember driving home (hour long) and it was in blowing snow! This is the only time I have ever driven home so slow at 45 MPH! It was on March 1st!

I really hope that Spring has Sprung as we say it down here. That means less chance of a Freeze and more chance of violent weather. Tornadoes and such! Soon the heat will be here! With luck we will have the pipes fixed sometime soon. We only have about half the water lines fixed right now. Only one of three toilets are working now!

Don't forget that Ireland is at the same latitude as Maine over here. Your weather patterns have to traverse oceans to get to you. Ours come down from Canada! This part of Texas is about the same latitude as Sicily!

Pruitt

Just curious, P Pruitt - but why do you use random capital letters mid-sentence?

Also: why use exclamation marks for things that aren't actually funny?

I only ask because there's a lad over on another site called PIsh who does exactly the same thing: random capital letters here and there but always in the wrong place and always followed up with dozens of exclamation marks. Maybe you two went to the same school? That would be an interesting way to reunite with old pals.

I loved the episode about Ozzy Osbourne taking a piss on the walls of the little chapel there and getting arrested. He claimed he was too drunk to know any better.

They cannot swallow their pride. The identity of Belgrade is open to question with the possibility he is a sock of dog in the manger. But even if he is not, he maintains the life long problem with all these threads. by allowing trolls to derail them. dog on the manger is Godsdog, Ollie Rehn and Dr Awkward

Give it a fucking rest Val: nobody is interested in bowing down to you or your wishes that things be done differently.

The boys are going nuts over on GPO.

No wonder: they barred me.

Sparta says we should fold our tent and go to Pish.

Sparshop's a sock, you big thick.

Does he not realize I am the only one on any of these threads who can post on Pish?.

He does, but he doesn't give a shite either way, Val.

Neither do the rest of us.

I have to be very well behaved to stay there.

Kissing ass comes very easily to you though.

Dog in the manger (DIM) is running riot on them all. 2 sock accounts on GPO and one is a mod. (Dr Awkward)

What's wrong with you, Val?

Is it cerebral or is it just the drink?

DIM is here as Ollie Rehn and on Pish as Godsdog and Ollie.

Again: wrong - as ever.

I have said it before.

Well, we didn't care then and we care even less now.

Me Dan, DIM , Mowl. Tadgh and DS are the only posters on these 2 and Fieldmarshal on Pish is one more

They're all Mowl, Val.

You ought to know at least that much by now, eh.

valamhic

Clink who now?

I met an Englishman on the ferry from Liverpool to Dublin once who fought in Korea. I sat at his table and he introduced himself and we got talking. He was on his way to Sligo where he had family and was going to retire there. He had a bottle of vodka and we opened it and had a few shots. Then I asked him about Korea and what he experienced there. His skin turned grey at the mere question.

The more we drank, the more beans he spilled about his time there. He told me some seriously horrific things about captured soldiers being boiled alive, others having their skin removed but kept alive to out the fear into the attacking armies. Heads on sticks, the works. By the time we got into Dun Laoire, I was as drunk as I've ever been and I passed out.

My travel partner and the old man carried me off the boat and dumped me at the front door of the N.ational Maritime Museum, where I worked only a year before as the house sign-writer/calligrapher. My old boss, Stella Archer, found me there and called an ambulance. I woke up at the local hospital and my girlfriend was sitting by my bed. I asked where I was and how I got there and she told me that Ms Archer was asked to call her to tell her to collect me when I woke up after getting my stomach pumped.

Why would an Irishman need a gun?

Good.

We? Who's this 'we' you speak of, Thicko?

Mine are both classed as hobby/toy guns - they only shoot pellets, but I enjoy some target practice in the comfort of my own home.

Beer cans, annoying bluebottle flies, and landed mosquitos.

Are you warming up to a weather bulletin on RTE, Val?

Try doing it in a little red dress: the folks back home in Cavan love a man in high-heels.

Ahhh, no: not noise in the trees, Val.

That's terrible.

Fecking noisy trees.

You win today's prize in our weekly 'Spot The Obvious' game show.

Just curious, P Pruitt - but why do you use random capital letters mid-sentence?

Also: what use exclamation marks for things that aren't actually funny?

I only ask because there's a lad over on another site called PIsh who does exactly the same thing: random capital letters here and there but always in the wrong place and always followed up with dozens of exclamation marks. Maybe you two went to the same school? That would be an interesting way to reunite with old pals.

I loved the episode about Ozzy Osbourne taking a piss on the walls of the little chapel there and getting arrested. He claimed he was too drunk to know any better.

Give it a fucking rest Val: nobody is interested in bowing down to you or your wishes that things be done differently.

No wonder: they barred me.

Sparshop's a sock, you big thick.

He does, but he doesn't give a shite either way, Val.

Neither do the rest of us.

Kissing ass comes very easily to you though.

What's wrong with you, Val?

Is it cerebral or is it just the drink?

Again: wrong - as ever.

Well, we didn't care then and we care even less now.

They're all Mowl, Val.

You ought to know at least that much by now, eh.
If I view a post of yours and there are 9 points made in it. If I agree with 2 of them and wish to like them and disagree with 7 of them

You do I proceed to like 2 and not like all nine?

Pruitt

If my posts bother you, then don't read them. My writing skills have stood up well over the last 67 years. I do notice that certain letters are being capitalized and given a period, like when I typed N.ame and it came back N.ame. Also take the word freeze. Here in the US we typically keep it in lower case when it is a verb, but can and do capitalize the F when it describes an event. It went down to 14 degrees farenheit and never reached 32 degrees for over 24 hours! I think that is worth a capital F. I find it strange that my professors in college never complained when I earned two teaching degrees.

Pruitt

Pruitt

Ozzy had better be glad he was obviously a foreigner. Texans take making a whiz on the Alamo very seriously. Besides, they do have a rest room inside the Chapel. Americans can and do act rude, but taking a whiz in public is an arresting offense. How he got away with it does not show him in a good light. If there had been children at hand, they could have arrested him for a sexual offense. I do not recommend Texas jails...

Pruitt

Mowl

If my posts bother you, then don't read them. My writing skills have stood up well over the last 67 years. I do notice that certain letters are being capitalized and given a period, like when I typed N.ame and it came back N.ame. Also take the word freeze. Here in the US we typically keep it in lower case when it is a verb, but can and do capitalize the F when it describes an event. It went down to 14 degrees farenheit and never reached 32 degrees for over 24 hours! I think that is worth a capital F. I find it strange that my professors in college never complained when I earned two teaching degrees.

Pruitt

Don't mind me: I'm just fussy about grammar and I have an eye for other people's writing skills and techniques: it's all part and parcel of my life teaching various things. I tend to be something of a perfectionist at times, so it's not you guys that are under the microscope - it says more about me that I even ask.

Ozzy had better be glad he was obviously a foreigner. Texans take making a whiz on the Alamo very seriously. Besides, they do have a rest room inside the Chapel. Americans can and do act rude, but taking a whiz in public is an arresting offense. How he got away with it does not show him in a good light. If there had been children at hand, they could have arrested him for a sexual offense. I do not recommend Texas jails...

Pruitt

I recall that some months after he was busted for taking a slash on the chapel that he was given a standing round of applause at a George Bush Jnr event. Dubbya was lauding him as an icon, and N.aturally Ozzy lapped it up - poor Sharon was nearly wetting herself hoping Ozzy didn't fuck things up any more than they already were by stuttering some mumbled drunk-junk back at Georgie-pie - the thick fucker that he (and his Father) really are.

He stood up to acknowledge the round of applause but Sharon dragged him back down into his seat before he started running his mouth off.

Gas man, Ozzy.

valamhic

Pruitt
He did a course while in the clink on English, As we say in Ireland he has a horn about spelling and grammar. He knows nothing else and labours on and to a point
boredom. Instead of responding to a post he responds to multiple replies with multiple replies. He can write 20 to 70 separate replies at a time. He equates spelling and grammar with intelligence which means the French. Japanese and Italians are idiots because they don't use English. Remedial action was attempted without success. Other sites just banned him. I do not know the answer which says it all.

Just watch his reply to this post. 20,000 words at least.

valamhic

The US has a different culture than European countries. Several times over the years citizens have had to rise up and remove governments that were oppressing them. The last successful time was in Tennessee right after WWII. The local County Sheriff finally aggravated enough locals so they blockaded the local Jail/Courthouse. These guys did not have good firearms so they went to the local N.ational Guard Armory and "borrowed" most of the weapons there. There was several days of shooting back and forth and the Sheriff screamed to the Governor to come save him and his people. The Governor arranged a cease fire and a special recall election was held. This time the Sheriff did Not pick up the ballot boxes to count the results. He was removed from office and a new Sheriff elected. The locals returned the firearms "borrowed" to the armory.

I can only hope your countries run governments better.

Pruitt
Feckin hell. I never knew that. What about the Trump / Biden election, do you think it was fair? I bet on the 2016 one and won well then bet of the last one and
lost it all. I got bad advice on one of these sites.

Pruitt

Look up the Battle of Athens or the McMinn County War. Tennessee has weird politics, watch Walking Tall (original not the Rock version)

There is nothing "fair" about American presidential elections. Even when places switched from paper ballots to electronic machines there was always ways to rig the results. The Great Louisiana Politician Earl Long once was quoted as saying "Give me 8 hours with the machines and I will make them whistle Dixie!". Earl had an eye for strippers in New Orleans so his wife would have him committed to an insane asylum. He would then call the director of Hospitals and tell him to order his release. He was fond of that famous Stripper Blaze Starr. In Texas, the border with Mexico would ship Mexicans over to vote in elections. They were well paid and fed for it.

Usually the weird ones running for President loose, like Mike Dukakis and Gerald Ford. Mike was Greek and married a Jewish lady and was from the state of Massachusetts. That does not attract American voters. Gerald Ford played Football (American) without a helmet and kept tripping and falling down. Chevy Chase created a career out of playing Ford on Saturday Night Live falling down.

Pruitt

valamhic

Look up the Battle of Athens or the McMinn County War. Tennessee has weird politics, watch Walking Tall (original not the Rock version)

There is nothing "fair" about American presidential elections. Even when places switched from paper ballots to electronic machines there was always ways to rig the results. The Great Louisiana Politician Earl Long once was quoted as saying "Give me 8 hours with the machines and I will make them whistle Dixie!". Earl had an eye for strippers in New Orleans so his wife would have him committed to an insane asylum. He would then call the director of Hospitals and tell him to order his release. He was fond of that famous Stripper Blaze Starr. In Texas, the border with Mexico would ship Mexicans over to vote in elections. They were well paid and fed for it.

Usually the weird ones running for President loose, like Mike Dukakis and Gerald Ford. Mike was Greek and married a Jewish lady and was from the state of Massachusetts. That does not attract American voters. Gerald Ford played Football (American) without a helmet and kept tripping and falling down. Chevy Chase created a career out of playing Ford on Saturday Night Live falling down.

Pruitt
Voting machines were not allowed in Ireland

valamhic

Pruitt
You will notice here that DS and Mowl are hung up on spelling and grammar. I suspect as a rough and tumble gun owning American, you are not
bother too much about it.

Top Bottom