Home

The Origins of cute hoorism in Ireland

Thus

Staff member
Cute hoorism is an irish character trait, that is often despised, emulated and often admired. Whether it's politicians, property developers, bankers, musicians, heads of sports associations, heads of charities, farmers, police etc. From the top of the social ladder to the bottom, black marketeers, dole cheats, civil servants etc. In nearly all walks of life, cute hoorism is alive and kicking in Paddyland.
In other countries, some of what has gone here would not be tolerated in the slightest. The expression "cute hoor", exists in no other language other than English (the irish version). Other cultures prefer to use the more popular adjectives to describe this behavior; dishonestly, corruption or deception.

I've always wondered why cute hoorism has flourished in Paddyland, and how this sort of behavior came about.

My own theory comes from the famine period in our history. Cute hoorism flourishes often in times of great panic, where people of influence take advantage of other people in often desperate circumstances under the guise of helping those people out. I was reading a book about the famine and in one passage, the author explains that many poor and desperate people were either coerced or cajoled by more affluent people to give us something valuable of theirs in order to receive either food, shelter or money in exchange. In many cases, the item exchanged would have had more worth than what they received for it, but because of their desperate circumstances they accepted. The author lists incidents of where poor starving people gave over items like jewelry, family heirlooms, parts of land, livestock in order to receive food that would suffice for a couple of days or money that would get them closer to a coffin ship. The more affluent person emerged from the transaction better off and also looking like he's helping these desperate people out. The author lists that such behavior was rampant up and down the country and not just in a rural setting either. Forget about the big English landlords, this was Irish inflicting misery on other Irish.

In our own recent history, we have seen again desperate people (those looking to get on the property ladder), be at the mercy of estate agents and bankers. Estate agents, inventing stories of counter offers to squeeze any last bit they can get out of the poor punter, the banker saying yes and yes every time they go back looking to borrow more money, knowing full well that they are confining their customer to a lifetime of debt.

Poor Paddy gets screwed again and again thanks to this rule, while newspapers publish stories of rich people getting mortgage write offs and debt relief, the little man is there to be milked until he's dry.

I think that this particular character trait is an ugly result of famine.

I would be keen to your thoughts on this topic.

Thus

Mowl

A tiny island like Ireland with its population of traditional rural and urban old timers and their newly arrived cosmopolitan society is a basket case of opportunities for any willing and hungry shark to bite into. In the modern context, the problem stems from a complete lack of joined-up thinking in Ireland's administration. Hundreds of department offices, all with a hundred each more under their wing. It's no wonder corruption is so prevalent: the opportunities are never ending.

This is multiplied by the nod and a wink culture, where if one guy spots a hole - he rips it bigger and tells the other guy to try the same: now you're in collusion and getting away with blue murder. Now multiply that scam by a thousand and you see why Ireland's not just rotten to the core, but completely beyond repair. To fix it, you'd have to tear the whole thing down and start again from the cornerstone up and out.

But Ireland's not capable of that either, so she lays there writhing in her death throes - even while she's still screaming the vultures are pecking at her flesh.

Sometimes it's simply wiser to give up the ghost and start again.

Ireland's beyond repair at the moment: imagine her ten years from now?

OP
T

Thus

Staff member
Mowl as an expat, do you visit Irish boozer in your city, or is it case of avoiding them like the plague.

In Paris, they are only usual for watching the odd match, aside from that they are rip off merchants generally lacking any fundamental charm, atmosphere or charisma.

Mowl

I used to perform with full bands on tour from around 1996 to 2001 and played all of the Irish venues with a number of different bands. Well, to be honest: they weren't actually bands so much as brands. Mine was called 'Fresh Greens' and with that brand I'd simply check my local schedule for dates, then look at the blanks, then ring agents abroad to book in the dates I wasn't busy elsewhere - like Dublin. That way, it didn't matter WHO was in the line-up so long as the brand showed up and did their things. You picked from a pool of singers and sidemen to get the brand on it.

Since then, not even wild horses on crack cocaine could drag me into any of them.

I'd rather go to Roskapankki in Kallio: at least there you only have to fight the doorman to get in; the crowd are usually all friendly after a few slaps.

Irish pubs are a phenomena best left to foreigners.

For Irish people, it's like a bad trip.

Unless I'm being paid per hour - 'no, fuck that, and fuck off: and your Guinness is fucking rotten - clean your fucking pipes...'

Irish bars plague the entire planet - but looked at from another point of view, they can be profitable too, but only if you've fuck all else to be doing.

Mowl

The differences between how Cowen's bust was publicized and how Claire Daly was treated speaks volumes.

She had a glass of wine and got dragged backwards through the bush while Cowen got the soft-soaping of a lifetime.

OP
T

Thus

Staff member
Are there any truth to the rumours that Paddyland's new Minister for Children had a blog on tumblr and was sharing gothic and satanic images of children being eaten by gouls?

Already a couple of week's in and Mehole is bouncing from one farce to another.

Mowl

Charlie - of course. The rest just mimicked him. But Charlie had a great bag-man, one he used to the max in life - and ultimately in death.

Coal Gas and peat

Staff member
Charlie - of course. The rest just mimicked him. But Charlie had a great bag-man, one he used to the max in life - and ultimately in death.
We are living way above our means ......was his classic line whilst he enjoyed 100 punt a shot brandy

Mowl

The Charvel tailoered shirts, and the poor auld bag-man dead in the ground and being Patsyed as the one responsible, Charlie's infamous 'Dead Man Strategy'.

Mowl

Absolutely: in fact, it was Charlie himself who said that Bertie had cojones bigger than any other politician of the day.

I can't remember the exact quote - but Haughey was basically saying that no matter how devious he himself was, he had nothing on the Bert.

DS86DS

Staff member
Administrator
Absolutely: in fact, it was Charlie himself who said that Bertie had cojones bigger than any other politician of the day.

I can't remember the exact quote - but Haughey was basically saying that no matter how devious he himself was, he had nothing on the Bert.

In some ways, Bertie was as crooked and as much a spiv as Charlie, certainly more conniving at times, aka. the communion money and the Galway races.

Mowl

One thing Charlie had on the Bert was the auld gravitas. Charlie knew how to carry himself and how to address both the camera and the live audience. Bertie, by comparison, was a little scruff. He had too much of a blatantly north-side accent to fake being anything but.

Watch Charlie progress with his theatrical abilities over the years from say 1974 through to his ultimate demise?

He was a class actor, and I reckon his affair with Terry Keane only enhanced his fakery. She knew the difference between old and new money and knew that Charlie was a lost bit with it all at times - such is the inherited hair-shirt of the regular knacker Paddy. Keane was able to culture him in crash course conditions where money was no object and the banks couldn't do enough for him with all the cheque books they kept flinging at him because he had by the throat - or so he thought. Fine Gael's Fitzgerald got away with huge banking debts too, but not on the scale of Haughey's. The means were equally as devious, yes - but the con far smaller than the stakes Haughey was gambling with.

In that picture - Bertie looks more like a pickpocket at a wealthy people's event that he somehow managed to crash into.

Everything about Bertie Ahearn says: knacker, low-life, scumbag, self-pitying bastard child, bad liar, frequent liar, terrible fucking actor.

So really, on the scale of Irish cons, the scum actually layers itself firmly on top of no matter what stench of rotten milk there is beneath.

History will be nice to Fitzy, a bit nicer to Charlie for the original gombeen entertainment factor alone - but Bert?

A rat in an anorak.

Little scumbag.

Nasty little bastard.

Etc.

DS86DS

Staff member
Administrator
Fine Gael up in the polls today at the expense of Fianna Fail, but not the FFG machine. It seems that the Irish electorate just never learns. To truly punish FF would involve supporting an actual alternative and not the clone party of FF, aka. Leo's crew.

DS86DS

Staff member
Administrator
Ireland's fucked.

So long as these two parties exist, she'll always be on her knees.

Could SF be a true alternative to FFG? Here's hoping that they don't turn out to be another group of opportunists making promises they've no intention of ever following through with.

Mowl

I'm seriously disappointed at how Mary Lou took the formation of the present unelected government lying down.

She's been in hibernation ever since Eamon 'Sleepy-Head' Ryan took his smug into Leinster House.

Top Bottom