Home

The Origins of cute hoorism in Ireland

Marseilles has a terrible reputation for political corruption. It seems to be the norm down there, a prime example is was the acquisition of Olympique Marseilles by Bernard Tapie.

But if you're caught up to no good, the consequences could be devastating. In Ireland, many politicians employ family members in assistant / secretarial positions ( whether they actually work is another question).

In France, Francois Fillon who was a favorite to become President of France until the scandal broke of him employing his wife for years in a fictitious position, herself earning upwards of 500k it's believed.

After the election in which he saw a 50% drop in support, he was tried and conviction of 5 years in prison (3 suspended I think) and order to repay 375k back to the French state.

Now he paid the monies in full, but will not do time. He's protected by some law which forbids ex-Presidents or candidates to be incarcerated (unless a capitol offence). A law which Francois Holland was trying to reverse, because he wanted to bang up Sarkozy for mis-appropriation of election funds and Jacques Chirac for what I believe is fraudulently awarding certain public sector contracts to his mates.

I'm not sure what Macron's position on this law is.

But cute hoorism is in fact everywhere, but in Ireland cute hoorisim has replaced the term entrepreneurial, it's worn as a badge of honor and it's more out there and in your face.
Is it true that Paris has turned into a hell hole? Does La Penn have any chance next time out?

OP
T

Thus

Staff member
Is it true that Paris has turned into a hell hole? Does La Penn have any chance next time out?

Of course not. There's always a bit of chaos in Paris, it's what makes Paris Paris.
There have been demonstrations at the weekend, after 4 coppers followed a black shop keeper to his apartment and kicking the living the shit out of him, all the while yelling racist slurs at him.

At the same time, there is a law being debated at the minute about making it illegal to film police. The journalists have been up in arms about this as they say it amounts to censorship.

Le Pen has every chance of making it to the 2nd Tour, but no chance of becoming President. She only knows one song "Anti-Immigration". In the debates with Macron she was like a bumbling idiot trying to answer questions on economy, foreign affairs, judicial policy and the EU.

Clanrickard

Of course not. There's always a bit of chaos in Paris, it's what makes Paris Paris.
There have been demonstrations at the weekend, after 4 coppers followed a black shop keeper to his apartment and kicking the living the shit out of him, all the while yelling racist slurs at him.

At the same time, there is a law being debated at the minute about making it illegal to film police. The journalists have been up in arms about this as they say it amounts to censorship.

Le Pen has every chance of making it to the 2nd Tour, but no chance of becoming President. She only knows one song "Anti-Immigration". In the debates with Macron she was like a bumbling idiot trying to answer questions on economy, foreign affairs, judicial policy and the EU.

I wouldn't say she has no chance. Macron's favourability ratings are low and who knows.........events dear boy events..............

OP
T

Thus

Staff member
I wouldn't say she has no chance. Macron's favourability ratings are low and who knows.........events dear boy events..............

I suspect he'll bounce back. Nobody from the PS or les Republicans has the charisma to take on either of them.

If Le Pen, gets elected it spells a lot of trouble.

I was never to Paris and would like to go. I love the sound of the language, OOUH La La.

I am afraid to go because I here I would be attacked by Muslim migrants camped in the street and their shit sticks to the shoes.

So that is not true then?

OP
T

Thus

Staff member
I was never to Paris and would like to go. I love the sound of the language, OOUH La La.

I am afraid to go because I here I would be attacked by Muslim migrants camped in the street and their shit sticks to the shoes.

So that is not true then?

The migrants are camped mainly around Barbes and Stalingrad, two areas of absolutely no interest to tourists.

You'll be fine.

DS86DS

Staff member
Administrator
Would be interesting were Macron the most hated figure in France since Louis XVI.

Clanrickard

Cute hoorism is an irish character trait, that is often despised, emulated and often admired. Whether it's politicians, property developers, bankers, musicians, heads of sports associations, heads of charities, farmers, police etc. From the top of the social ladder to the bottom, black marketeers, dole cheats, civil servants etc. In nearly all walks of life, cute hoorism is alive and kicking in Paddyland.
In other countries, some of what has gone here would not be tolerated in the slightest. The expression "cute hoor", exists in no other language other than English (the irish version). Other cultures prefer to use the more popular adjectives to describe this behavior; dishonestly, corruption or deception.

I've always wondered why cute hoorism has flourished in Paddyland, and how this sort of behavior came about.

My own theory comes from the famine period in our history. Cute hoorism flourishes often in times of great panic, where people of influence take advantage of other people in often desperate circumstances under the guise of helping those people out. I was reading a book about the famine and in one passage, the author explains that many poor and desperate people were either coerced or cajoled by more affluent people to give us something valuable of theirs in order to receive either food, shelter or money in exchange. In many cases, the item exchanged would have had more worth than what they received for it, but because of their desperate circumstances they accepted. The author lists incidents of where poor starving people gave over items like jewelry, family heirlooms, parts of land, livestock in order to receive food that would suffice for a couple of days or money that would get them closer to a coffin ship. The more affluent person emerged from the transaction better off and also looking like he's helping these desperate people out. The author lists that such behavior was rampant up and down the country and not just in a rural setting either. Forget about the big English landlords, this was Irish inflicting misery on other Irish.

In our own recent history, we have seen again desperate people (those looking to get on the property ladder), be at the mercy of estate agents and bankers. Estate agents, inventing stories of counter offers to squeeze any last bit they can get out of the poor punter, the banker saying yes and yes every time they go back looking to borrow more money, knowing full well that they are confining their customer to a lifetime of debt.

Poor Paddy gets screwed again and again thanks to this rule, while newspapers publish stories of rich people getting mortgage write offs and debt relief, the little man is there to be milked until he's dry.

I think that this particular character trait is an ugly result of famine.

I would be keen to your thoughts on this topic.

Thus
This is simply not true. Corruption and dishonesty exists in every culture and every country. Even in Europe there are countries where corruption is far more prevalent.

OP
T

Thus

Staff member
This is simply not true. Corruption and dishonesty exists in every culture and every country. Even in Europe there are countries where corruption is far more prevalent.

I'm not denying that Europe is corruption free, but in Ireland in my experience there's more of "see what you can get away with" attitude.

Clanrickard

I'm not denying that Europe is corruption free, but in Ireland in my experience there's more of "see what you can get away with" attitude.

Disagree. Maybe 20 years ago. Ireland is a different place now. I just don't see the cute hoor mentality as being as acceptable as in the past. Maria Bailey would have gotten away with swing gate 30 years ago.

OP
T

Thus

Staff member
Disagree. Maybe 20 years ago. Ireland is a different place now. I just don't see the cute hoor mentality as being as acceptable as in the past. Maria Bailey would have gotten away with swing gate 30 years ago.

Well thankfully at least. The incident was an embarrassment to the political system and stank of privilege.

The tribunals, although not delivering justice, at least put this carry on out in the public view. But we still have things like the Garda driving points etc which drags it back down.

They shot Kennedy for threatening to pull out of Vietnam the shafted Trump for threatening to bring the troops home from foreign wars. They cannot see how China is beating them at every turn and buying up their country. There will soon be no America

Empires collapse from within

OP
T

Thus

Staff member
They shot Kennedy for threatening to pull out of Vietnam the shafted Trump for threatening to bring the troops home from foreign wars. They cannot see how China is beating them at every turn and buying up their country. There will soon be no America

Empires collapse from within
Fascinating. And did you take your evidence to the local An Garda Siochana station?

Top Bottom