Home

World In Union - The Rugby Union Thread

I saw the sport section of the site and to my surprise, there is nothing dedicated to the great oval ball game...!! And so I'm starting one.

We are in the middle of the Six N.ations and the French are looking good, England look bloody awful and Italy are the perennial whipping boys. The Welsh are performing better than I expected under their new head coach, but I still think the French will win it. They're overdue........ like, 17 years overdue.

Ireland...? I'll leave you guys to tell me what you think of your team.

Over to you.

DS86DS

Staff member
Administrator
I've never really gotten into rugby, but perhaps that will change one day. Are the New Zealand All-Blacks still the top team in the world?

Within Ireland, I think it's popular in the province of Munster, less so in say Dublin.

OP
Jennyanydots

Jennyanydots

I've never really gotten into rugby, but perhaps that will change one day. Are the New Zealand All-Blacks still the top team in the world?

Within Ireland, I think it's popular in the province of Munster, less so in say Dublin.
New Zealand are still top of the world rankings although South Africa are a close second. Australia are having a bit of a resurgence too after years of mis-management under the dire Michael Cheika, a man whose ability to blame everything that went wrong on everything and everybody but himself is surpassed only by Boris Johnson on top form.

Argentina now has a rapidly improving international team... or at least, one that has learned the value of backs and therefore has more to offer than just 8 very large forwards who have perfected the art of being able to push at the same time.

Japan were a delight during the last world cup, playing with sheer joy, cheered on by rapturous crowds revelling in the global spotlight and playing with a level of freedom and flair that it seemed until then had been lost to the game.

Rugby union is a wonderful sport. I've been brought up with it from as far back as I can remember. My father used to play for Blackheath, the first club in the world to go "open" back in 1858. He used to take me along to matches at the Rectory Field when he was playing. The boys in the team used to rib him when we arrived. "Bought your fan club with you again, Kenny..?" I learned rugby club behaviour young and very quickly learned that, at 8 years old, my mental age probably exceeded that of most of the players in their post match socials.

Living in Cornwall now, I've fitted right in with the rugby culture at our local club. I love it.

Cornish rugby has a fine tradition of cocking a snook at HQ in Twickenham and even at Westminster. When Australia played a tour match against a Cornish XI in 1908, it was billed here as an "international test match". The Australia Rugby Union played along by awarding full international caps for the match. (y)

Oooooooooooo.... did Westminster not like that.

I tend to get a bit overexcited with my love of the game so please forgive me if I get a little carried away sometimes.... especially with a British and Irish Lions tour scheduled for later in the year.

Oh, and Munster were a very good team not so long ago. I saw them play at The Stoop (Harlequins) when they were in their pomp and carrying Europe before them. Ronan O'Gara, Peter Stringer...... and Paul O'Connell skippering that great team. Marvellous team to watch.....

Happy days...

OP
Jennyanydots

Jennyanydots

A sensible move in my opinion.

It's all very well for the major playing N.ations to play matches close together because their squads are made up of players of a consistently high standard. They can afford to rest players and bring in others from the squad with little or no dilution of quality. Lesser countries such as Uruguay or the South Sea Island countries have - it has to be said - a good core team but little real strength in depth.

And besides that.... if the world cup goes on for an extra week, that's fine by me..!! Penzance and Newlyn Rugby Club has a big screen and a well stocked bar. I can handle that.

15 a side in rugby union

1. Prop forward
2.Prop forward/hhooker
3 prop forward
4 second row
5 second row
6 second row
7 inside flanker
8 outside flanker
9 scrum half
10 out half/ fly half
11 winger
12 inside centre
13 outside centre
14 winger
15 full back

I'm watching rugby from the days of Ralph Keyes and Simon geoghegan (class player 👌)
Ireland almost knocked Australia in the 1991 world cup at Lansdowne road what a tri this was ....Gordon Hamilton is the man who went over

Are the Aussies anywhere near as good neighbouring NZ?
afraid not ...the cancer that is rugby league has taken over in Aussie land ......rugby union has been slipping for decades in Australia and it's well down the order now

As I see it the pecking order in Australian sport currently is

1 Australian rules football
2. Cricket
3 rugby league
4 soccer
5 rugby union

OP
Jennyanydots

Jennyanydots

My parents were in New Zealand in 2005 when BOD was (supposed to be) Captain of the Lions. I say supposed to be because within a couple of minutes of the start of the first test in Christchurch, He was up-ended by Tana Umaga and Kevin Mealamu in a "spear tackle" which drove his shoulder into the ground and damaged it so badly that he took no further part in the series.

The spear tackle is illegal and occurs when a player is lifted and up-ended, then driven with force into the ground head first, like a warrior planting a spear. Umaga and Mealamu were given no punishment for the action.

It's not possible to say how much that contributed to the Lions losing the series 0-3, but it did sour things. The video images are a bit cloudy and inconclusive, but my mum says she saw it clearly from where she was sitting in the stand. Umaga clearly carried out a sneak attack on BOD and with the captain - and arguably the best player - taken out of the series, Lions never really played to their potential.

He was a smashing player and a lovely bloke. It's not surprising that Ireland's most successful international team in recent times came when he was at his peak.

Tana Umaga spear tackle on Brian O'Driscoll

OP
Jennyanydots

Jennyanydots

The resurgence of the Scottish is the main talking point of northern hemisphere rugby currently
Absolutely. Stuart Hogg has been a revelation during the six N.ations so far.

Gregor Townsend has really got the Scots going. They've been in the rugby wilderness for a while now and it's good to have them firing. Hoggy will most certainly go to South Africa later in the year (if the tour happens, Covid permitting) and I wouldn't be surprised if he were made captain.

OP
Jennyanydots

Jennyanydots

I believe maro itoeje has got that one for woke and diversity reasons :oops:
Maro is a fine player. I've met him and chatted with him in a post match social. he's a lovely guy and I'm sure will do a good job. Perhaps the decision was made prior to the six N.ations and Hoggy's sparkling form. Perhaps the selectors feel his contribution as full back is so important they feel he should focus entirely on that. And besides that, captains usually come from the pack anyway. But I still think Hoggy should have got it.

I rather baulk at the idea that these decisions are made for "Woke" reasons. I'm not keen either on using such a phrase as a pejorative. Minority groups have their tale to tell, and their cause to fight. If their cause is legitimate, it should be tolerated and argued fairly, not derided by a corrupted phrase that has been around for more than fifty years and means something completely different to how it is now presented.

I would also be very disappointed if Ireland ever dropped out of the Lions set up. Ireland has contributed many fine players down the years and I've always been greatly impressed that rugby union is a sport that Ireland plays as a united country. Ulsterman packs down with Republican. Protestant with Catholic. You're all Irishmen. Surely that has to be a good thing. No better reason then, why that shouldn't be represented in the second most important series (after the world cup) in the global game.

The clue is in the N.ame: Rugby UNION.

DS86DS

Staff member
Administrator
Maro is a fine player. I've met him and chatted with him in a post match social. he's a lovely guy and I'm sure will do a good job. Perhaps the decision was made prior to the six N.ations and Hoggy's sparkling form. Perhaps the selectors feel his contribution as full back is so important they feel he should focus entirely on that. And besides that, captains usually come from the pack anyway. But I still think Hoggy should have got it.

I rather baulk at the idea that these decisions are made for "Woke" reasons. I'm not keen either on using such a phrase as a pejorative. Minority groups have their tale to tell, and their cause to fight. If their cause is legitimate, it should be tolerated and argued fairly, not derided by a corrupted phrase that has been around for more than fifty years and means something completely different to how it is now presented.

I would also be very disappointed if Ireland ever dropped out of the Lions set up. Ireland has contributed many fine players down the years and I've always been greatly impressed that rugby union is a sport that Ireland plays as a united country. Ulsterman packs down with Republican. Protestant with Catholic. You're all Irishmen. Surely that has to be a good thing. No better reason then, why that shouldn't be represented in the second most important series (after the world cup) in the global game.

The clue is in the N.ame: Rugby UNION.

How do you think women's rugby compares to men's rugby?

Top Bottom